www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: [CNN Tech] Public Wi-Fi comes to Cuba, at least in 35 spots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Public Wi-Fi comes to Cuba, at least in 35 spots

Until recently, the odds of finding a Wi-Fi signal in Cuba were almost as low as stumbling upon a McDonald's.

http://rss.cnn.com/~r/rss/edition_techno...index.html
Trust me when I tell you:

These guys, without help from the Americans, have a very very very long way to go. Castro really made a mess there...
Have you been to Cuba before Ed? I've always been curious about there.
(2015-07-17, 16:31)cookiedough Wrote: [ -> ]Have you been to Cuba before Ed? I've always been curious about there.

Until recently it was illegal to travel to Cuba for a large portion of the population, in particular if you have had a certain type of profession and background. Due to the current and previous legal and political ramifications of a positive answer, I must decline the first question. All assumptions are your own.

With that said, if I have theoretically traveled to Cuba in the past, I would tell you that it is in somewhat of a sad state of affairs. The land itself is beyond beautiful, as are many of the women. The Sierra Maestra's are really a must see. Havana still retains much of its old world glory, but it is falling apart. People milling about in the streets, many old cars as I'm sure you have heard, and a fair amount of hunger... unless you have American dollars of course. The smell can be somewhat overwhelming in certain parts of the city and electricity can be problematic.

There is a fair amount of fear, once you get the locals alone, as it would seem that the largest employer is the secret police. There is an encouragement by the local and national political structure to root out, for lack of a better word, nonbelievers. The encouragement is usually in the form of food, employment, communications access, or travel passes.

On the positive side, the people are polite, helpful, intelligent, and nice to Americanos.

All in all, it would definitely be worth a trip. At the very minimum, once you get back to Cayo Hueso where your internet works, the water is clean, food is plenty, English is spoken, nice swimming pools, good liquor, and nightlife with a minimum of AIDS ridden prostitutes - you can remind yourself you don't have it so bad... but notice I didn't say great cigars?
Thanks for your answer. It paints a fairly detailed... And intriguing... Picture.