www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: General Heads Up - Arena Scientific
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

Newbie here. First post & all that. However I just wanted to give people a little heads up on a particular brand - Arena Scientific.

Well I was recently in HK for business & was seduced looking at the phones whilst at the Golden Centre. I'm pretty tech savvy in all, particularly with Droids, so fancied the look of this Arena Scientific 5.8 inch 1.2ghz MTK6589 Tab-x quad core phone. Loved it at first - then without warning went hard-bricked. Black screen, even though SP Flash Tools can still see it.

The biggest problem - the company itself. Yes there is a warranty (only valid in HK and Macau), and whilst there are contact details on their website, and even a list of firmware for a number of different droid devices they produce. But not the 5.8 Tab-x.

I've tried to locate a stock rom anywhere on the net as I presume something like the preloader has gone. I've looked on the usual resources - needrom, etc, but no dice - this company seem like a phantom, and whilst its clearly an MTK6589 phone (MTK6589_S00 to be precise), nothing will work with it.

So there you go. Whilst you don't expect full support from 'alternative' companies at the same time the ability to get a stock rom somewhere (even from the manufacturer) would be a presumption in most circumstances, just not in mine.

Oh well...hindsight, wonderful thing. I've ordered myself an HDC to make up for it - from a UK supplier - so at least I know I can get the stock rom, make a backup myself using droidtools, and find some others on needrom. But for anyone wandering around the Golden Centre- beware of Arena Scientific. It looks good, but if it goes you really do have a brick as you just can't get the roms anywhere to sort out problems.

This all being said, if anyone has a stock for the above just give me a shout / point me in the right direction! Tongue

See you on the flipside, i'm sure i'll be back & around the place here.