www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: [BBC] Popular ad-blocker withdrawn
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Popular ad-blocker withdrawn

The man behind one of the most popular ad-blocking apps withdraws it after second thoughts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/34302253#s...hannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa
Just terrible, these ad-blockers. 95% of the net is powered by advertising. Good for you Marco Arment. Imagine 95% of the internet - gone. Great article on that here too http://www.theawl.com/2015/09/welcome-to...lock-party
Iimagine if all websites were like this one, without unobtrusive advertising or relentless pop-ups that all but require the use of ad-blockers.

One rotten apple, and so on.

It's one giant catch-22. Mobile providers in the USA cap high-speed data usage. The same mobile providers rely on the "free" content given on the web to drive the very same data usage. Users use ad-blockers to reduce the amount of data (and time) hogged up by many advertising intensive sites because the providers will charge them more or cap speeds.

In the end, capped speeds and limited data seem to be the driving force behind ad-block software... and the little guy (small websites, bloggers, forums, and individual users) get screwed where the sun doesn't shine.

ATT, Comcast, and others seem to be the winners in a rigged game.
Nearly all websites I visit are like that (without unobtrusive popups). The only time I get obtrusive ads is when I'm somewhere where I probably shouldn't be.

I really don't think that's the case at all Ed. I think the overwhelming majority of people use adblockers so they don't have to look at ads and perhaps some of them jusify it by saying it saves them data.
(2015-09-21, 11:34)Bacon_Puffs Wrote: [ -> ]Nearly all websites I visit are like that (without unobtrusive popups). The only time I get obtrusive ads is when I'm somewhere where I probably shouldn't be.

I really don't think that's the case at all Ed. I think the overwhelming majority of people use adblockers so they don't have to look at ads and perhaps some of them jusify it by saying it saves them data.

I'm with ya, and as far as the bulk of the population goes, I honestly don't know.
Well... on this front, maybe there is some new (as in, today) supporting information.

Food for thought.

The Cost of Mobile Ads

Mobile ad-blockers save you time and money.
Web pages load so fast these days, it's of no consequence. These few paragraphs that Jessica wrote are bull and terrible journalism. I don't want to even think of the damage these 2 out of context, poorly explained main stream articles just did.

In other news, 90% of the internet shuts down due to excessive ad blocking.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the point in terms of saving money with data, but beyond that, for example the topics these 2 articles mention, (battery life and page loading time) is effectively not true. I'm sure they got lots of Facebook shares though. Yea.