www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: Root + CWM/TWRP for Star S7100 (mtk6577)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This may be long-winded. Stay with me!

My mom and sister both have a Star S7100 (aka S7180?). It has the mtk6577 cpu, and 1gb of ram. From what I can tell, this phone was first released with a QHD screen, then quietly changed to a FWVGA resolution screen. My mom and sister have the fwvga version.

I successfully rooted and installed CWM on my sister's via MTK Flash tools. But, when I tried to do my mom's phone, it isn't recognized in windows. Therefore, flash tools won't work. I don't understand this, they are the exact same phone.

Anyway, my question is this: if I root the phone with one of these new one click methods, can I install CWM or TWRP through Mobileuncle Tools, like I did on my i6000? Or is that something that can only be done on certain phones or certain cpus (mt6589)?

edit* I have finally rooted this phone with [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register], now if someone could chime in and let me know if I can install that custom recovery with Mobileuncle Smiling
Well, just to let everyone know (+ in case someone comes here who needs it), I took the chance and installed the custom recovery through/with Mobileuncle tool. It worked. What a relief.

Makes me wonder why anyone would install a recovery through Flash tools anymore...
Sorry didn't get back to you sooner on this Bert. Glad you figured it out.

re SP Flash Tool, Both methods seem more or less equally easy to me.

Also, it can be flashed while flashing new firmware to save yourself having to do 2 steps.

Another scenerio - let's assume you don't know which easy root method will work for your phone, rather than trial and error, if you have access to CWM, but aren't rooted yet, that would be another case for SP Flash Tool (eg, flash recovery with SP, then copy over SuperSU to SD).
You're absolutely right about using flash tools for root purposes (under certain situations/circumstances).

I just have a hard time sometimes with drivers to get flash tools working properly. Otherwise, I don't have a problem using it.