www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: ZTE Axon Elite (International model) Review
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here is my review of the ZTE Axon Elite (International model)

The 'phone is great, everything is as smooth as silk, but I'm tempted to root and put it back to stock Android. I wonder how the warranty will be if I brick it? There's not too much bloatware, so I'll probably leave it. I do like the ZTE skin they put on it, one reviewer called it child-like, so maybe I'm heading for no 2 childhood. It's fluid and very responsive, and has nice big icons, fit for arthritic fingers and poor eyesight.
The GPS works beautifully with my receiver, I have a floor-mounted gooseneck stand for my car and as it is so big it is really easy to use as a GPS. I won't be needing a new 7 inch tablet for my car.
There doesn't seem to be any 4G at my home location, I don't know if there is any in Bournemouth/Poole/Christchurch town centres as I haven't been there yet with the 'phone.
The quick charge facility is brilliant, works well, and with the way I use the 'phone the battery seems to be lasting for two or three days at a time.
The screen is amazingly bright, plainly viewable in direct sunlight with no distortion or phasing out at even the most obscure angles.
The sound is as loud as I hoped, with a truly piercing ring and the dual speakers (tiny though they must be) produce acceptable sound in an emergency where there are no external speakers available.
When connected via bluetooth to my Peugeot 3008 (old model 2013) it sounds just great and the steering wheel controls work as expected. It must have multipoint bluetooth because now I can connect to the Adapt dedicated GPS receiver and the car simultaneously. The only thing that is different to the Samsung S3 is the dash display no longer displays the song title and artist. The Samsung used to play each track twice though, the Axon doesn't. Also the turn-by-turn instructions of Waze are emitted from the Axon speakers and there seems no way of reducing the English lady's rather strident voice. I'll be trying Navmii and Google Maps, see if they will work through the car system.

It also connects flawlessly to my GT88 smartwatch (I know I'm an ageing geek!), and all functions seem to work ok.

I'm still playing with it, so if I discover any new facet I'll be sure to return here.

Tony.
Its good you got the phone you like now ;)
(2016-01-28, 07:30)deanlee121 Wrote: [ -> ]Its good you got the phone you like now ;)

Hi Deanlee-

Yes chuffed as nuts. I've been playing with Navmii and the car system speakers work well with this programme, so I think I'll forget Waze and stick to Navmii.
The add-ons are only a few pound a year and with free maps updated every year they deserve to get some recompense for their work.
Navmii also has a well-modulated dulcet male very English voice navigation which is much more mellow.

I've ordered 2 cases for it, one leather horizontal clip-on and one double-skinned armour, see which one arrives first.
Having trouble rooting it, but am going very slowwwwly just in case.

Cheers, Tony.
For XTE Axon Elite root, try this

1. Install app adb root -> ADB_ROOT
2. Enable root on this apk
3. Now install adb --->ADB
4. Copy this file on Sdcard ---> TWRP_RECOVERY
5. then copy this zip file -> UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
6. write in this adb
dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery

at the end
reboot recovery

7. now in recovery flash UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip

Important
For OTA you must replace the original recovery:
1- download this file -> RECOVERY_STOCK
2- write in this adb
dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery

Credit
dadizhu for apk adb_root
Et� navigator (时代的导航者) for A2015 TWRP

BUGS
On system/reboot recovery freeze you can push vol up + power for 10 sec to reboot

Warning

Dear Customer,
We thank you for your purchase of the Axon device. We apologize but we do not distribute the stock ROM for the Axon device. Any attempts to root the device also will void your warranty. Thank you for your understanding
Regards, ZTE USA.

ZTE Axon stock ROM: http://www.ztedevice.com/support/e109bda...1d432.html
DirkNirk-

Thanks for this, I had seen that one, but was leery of it as it was Italian.
I did successfully root the Axon, after much stuffing around.
The problem is, most guys on these forums have done it many times and get a bit blasé with the explanations.
I kept a note of all the steps I took and will post them up in the howto section for newbies.
I am not a novice by any means, just not tackled any Android stuff and didn't realise that I needed a terminal ...then run adb from the terminal to allow the dd command to work.

I use the dd command all the time to back up on my linux systems.

There is a marshmallow 6.0 rom file around but every download site demands to know your life history and then the download never happens. I'll wait until there's a download with no strings attached.

Tony.[/size]
hey @vidtek firstly thanks for the review
secondly can you request a moderator somehow shrink the thread down to normal size...i think it may be because of the size of the images uploded which is making the screen too large,i noticed that you never mentioned the camera at all...or rom or ram size...no spec sheet...? as for your 4G LTE problems this could be because the device maybe does not have band 20 maybe which is used for more rural areas...try to download an app which will give you this network band info
(2016-03-12, 04:14)mrsim Wrote: [ -> ]hey @vidtek firstly thanks for the review
secondly can you request a moderator somehow shrink the thread down to normal size...i think it may be because of the size of the images uploded which is making the screen too large,i noticed that you never mentioned the camera at all...or rom or ram size...no spec sheet...? as for your 4G LTE problems this could be because the device maybe does not have band 20 maybe which is used for more rural areas...try to download an app which will give you this network band info

Mrsim-
Yes, the image sizes are ridiculous aren't they? I checked the bands before I bought the 'phone and they are good for the Virgin network I use. The 4G rollout is a little slow down here in the deep South, probably figure the old fogeys down here don't need it! Good suggestion to download an app with band scanning properties, I'll try that.
I'm having difficulties with the camera, it's a bit different to my old S3. that was point and shoot style, with the ZTE by the time I've figured out the controls and got them just right, the moment has gone. The pictures I have taken are equal to the S3 though. The International version comes with 3gb of memory and 32gb of ram. Hope this helps.
Tony.
(2016-03-12, 17:40)vidtek Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-12, 04:14)mrsim Wrote: [ -> ]hey @vidtek firstly thanks for the review

Mrsim-
Yes, the image sizes are ridiculous aren't they? I checked the bands before I bought the 'phone and they are good for the Virgin network I use. The 4G rollout is a little slow down here in the deep South, probably figure the old fogeys down here don't need it! Good suggestion to download an app with band scanning properties, I'll try that.
I'm having difficulties with the camera, it's a bit different to my old S3. that was point and shoot style, with the ZTE by the time I've figured out the controls and got them just right, the moment has gone. The pictures I have taken are equal to the S3 though. The International version comes with 3gb of memory and 32gb of ram. Hope this helps.
Tony.

old fogeys... pmsl... try this app for monitoring your network..https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=msd.n2g.n3g