www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: The long road to make a custom ROM for Huawei Ascend Y330
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi
I have bought a Huawei Y330 phone because it is a low budget phone, yet having all features I need for every day use. It is a phone sold very well across the world. My phone was bought in Romania and it has custom features for the local network provider (TELEKOM.RO). By custom features I mean custom boot animations and sounds and a custom application. The phone is not locked to their network and from what I can tell the bootloader is not locked too.

Here are the phone specifications:

Build:
GMS version: 4.2_r6
Platform: mtk
Build release: 4.2.2
Model: HUAWEI Y330-U01
Brand: Huawei
Manufacturer: HUAWEI
Product name: Y330-U01
Build ID: Y330-U01 V100R001C00B136
Custom build ID: CUSTROUC150D001
Build codename: REL
Build incremental: C00B136

System:
Kernel: Linux version 3.4.5

Memory:
RAM Total: 512 Mb
ROM Total: 4 Gb

CPU:
MIN Clock: 598 MHz
MAX Clock: 1300 MHz
Processor: ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
BogoMIPS: 1993.93
Features: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt
CPU implementer: 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant: 0x0
CPU part: 0xc07
CPU revision: 3
Hardware: MT6572

Screen:
Resolution: 480 x 800
Density: 240 DPI (high-density screen)

It wasn't long until I started to be interested in rooting the phone. I tried a lot of Android and PC applications. Nothing worked. Probably because there is a custom build? No idea. Finally I found a CWM Recovery made specially for my phone. I flashed it with SD Flash Tool and J got root.

Now I am in the process of gathering information on how to build a Custom ROM for my phone. Why a custom ROM? Mainly because the stock ROM eats too much RAM and occupies too much space (over 2 Gb).

My first concern is to have a BACKUP in case I brick the phone. I have access to another identical phone (well, except serial number, IMEI and SIM) that was never modified. It is exactly like it was in day 1 in the shop.

So my first questions are:

1) WHAT and HOW should I backup the virgin phone?
2) That backup will allow me to unbrick my phone in ANY bad situation?

Thank you.
Anyone, please?
[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]&tag=support

[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

XDA refers to French Site

and there is a spanish site