www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: Received Marshmallow for ZE551ML today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Finally got MM for my Zenfone 2 this morning. I'm a Beta tester so not sure if it's been released for everyone. Haven't really explored it fully but I like the app permission function.
Permission requests annoy me. But, maybe that's something that would bite me in the ass if it didn't exist. Hard to say. I don't think I've been bitten previously ... at least, no outward signs... money missing from bank etc...
(2016-06-14, 04:45)cookiedough Wrote: [ -> ]Permission requests annoy me. But, maybe that's something that would bite me in the ass if it didn't exist. Hard to say. I don't think I've been bitten previously ... at least, no outward signs... money missing from bank etc...

Some of the Permissions that these apps require/request are total garbage. Since I've stopped rooting my phones MIUI opened my eyes again. Now I have MM on my Zenfone 2 I realized again the nonsense they attempt. Why do CM Browser or ESPN need to read my contacts? (yeah I know CM Browser is Cheetah/Cleanmaster but I like it.)

There are others that I can't remember but my biggest peeve right now are the embedded video and picture ads in these apps. I have Adguard on my Zenfone but not on my Xiaomi. That's going to change quickly.
I've stopped rooting long ago. I understand the need for it for some people, but I found it just wasn't something I really needed, and I've rarely missed it. I think of it was something I could do once and never have to worry about, that would be cool... but Xiaomi has updates like once every couple weeks.... Some phones causes big problems with OTA etc... as well.

Regarding permissions... I don't even pay attention. Not saying that's smart...but...
Pay attention to those permissions. I don't regard it as an outright security threat but as a privacy issue. It's simply none of their business.
(2016-06-14, 05:20)Twotems Wrote: [ -> ]Pay attention to those permissions. I don't regard it as an outright security threat but as a privacy issue. It's simply none of their business.

I'm much more concerned about gov snooping than private companies. It seems very impersonal to me... data mining for profit. IDC, this doesn't really affect me...

Government snooping.. CCTV everywhere, facial recognition, gov drones...this has scary undertones and implications...
(2016-06-14, 05:29)cookiedough Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-06-14, 05:20)Twotems Wrote: [ -> ]Pay attention to those permissions. I don't regard it as an outright security threat but as a privacy issue. It's simply none of their business.

I'm much more concerned about gov snooping than private companies. It seems very impersonal to me... data mining for profit. IDC, this doesn't really affect me...

Government snooping.. CCTV everywhere, facial recognition, gov drones...this has scary undertones and implications...

I'm the opposite. Don't really care if the government is watching as I've got nothing to hide. Stealing my personal information is my main concern.
Interesting. I guess that what makes the world go 'round.

Really most people don't know what the gov is until they've had a run in (or are gov themselves)...They're nothing more than organized gangs. Granted, needed otherwise complete chaos ensues...Nonetheless, the world thrives on making laws to lock people up and persecute blue collar "criminals".

"I was not a social democrat. ...then they came for the Jews, And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew... When they came for me, there was no one left to speak out."

I sound so petty, but my overshadowing concern with the extra permissions is the resources the app uses to do all those extra things. Don't bog my phone down, mofos! Angry

Also, thanks for the heads-up on Marshmallow! Thumbs Up
Doe this mean the end of LP updates?
Pages: 1 2