www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: [Update] Zuk Z2 review. A Snapdragon 820 phone for the shortlist
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Excellent review, as always. With the recent price drops, this phone keeps getting more interesting. I'm not a huge fan of the looks (as far as I can tell in photos), but the overall package is very impressive. I particularly like the relatively large battery, and adequate camera performance. With a redmi 4 prime en route, I'm not really in the market for another phone for myself for a while, but I am considering the z2 for my girlfriend. It's very tempting at this price point.
What's up @"jh1". Good to see you here, man. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed by the style as well. I think I mentioned that in the review. Phones such as the $100 Leagoo T1 manage to look better.

I think this was done to give you another reason to upgrade your purchase to Zuk Z2 Pro, which is a bit slicker looking with the metal sides. But interestingly, has a smaller batter. Also mentioned is that the Zuk Z2 Plus is a bit chunky, but manages to fit a nice sized 3500mAh battery in there. Metal sides would have gone a long way towards making the Zuk Z2 Plus looking better, but I can forgive it.

I've got the Redmi 4 Pro/Prime arriving today. We'll have that review coming up. I think either of these phones would make a good phone for your GF. The Zuk Z2 a bit of a learning curve because quite different from standard Android, but I ended up liking it after retraining my muscle memory.
So, back to the z2. I pulled the trigger and have one on order. Assuming it will come with the reseller rom. Are you still using that one, or did you flash the stock Chinese or Indian version? Any issues with notifications? I know Zi Jin has had problems, at least with the Indian ROM. Debating whether to figure out how to flash a stock ROM, or stick with the reseller rom until the notification issues are resolved.
Anytime an app on the Zuk Z2 tries to make a notification, there should be a permission request in notifications (Eg: [This app is trying to push notifications, Allow / Don't allow]). I don't remember there being any problems in this regard on the CN/EN ROM. I believe this is an issue particular to the Indian ROM.

Some users have complained that you can't Pull Down a notification for further quick actions as you can with AOSP Android. I didn't find it a big deal.

I flashed the CN/EN ROM. Just [almost] finished a video and written guide for flashing Zuk Z2: http://www.chinaphonearena.com/forum/Thr...lash-guide

There have been many updates to the ROM since the ROM it was on when we received the phone. A full version increment as well (eg v1.xx to v2.xx).
(2016-12-06, 13:39)GizBeat Wrote: [ -> ]Anytime an app on the Zuk Z2 tries to make a notification, there should be a permission request in notifications (Eg: [This app is trying to push notifications, Allow / Don't allow]). I don't remember there being any problems in this regard on the CN/EN ROM. I believe this is an issue particular to the Indian ROM.

Some users have complained that you can't Pull Down a notification for further quick actions as you can with AOSP Android. I didn't find it a big deal.

I flashed the CN/EN ROM. Just [almost] finished a video and written guide for flashing Zuk Z2: http://www.chinaphonearena.com/forum/Thr...lash-guide

There have been many updates to the ROM since the ROM it was on when we received the phone. A full version increment as well (eg v1.xx to v2.xx).

Wow, those are very detailed, easy to follow instructions. Will definitely be using them. Thanks. Glad to hear the Chinese/EN rom seems to be doing well with notifications.
(2016-12-06, 20:01)Jh1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-12-06, 13:39)GizBeat Wrote: [ -> ]Anytime an app on the Zuk Z2 tries to make a notification, there should be a permission request in notifications (Eg: [This app is trying to push notifications, Allow / Don't allow]). I don't remember there being any problems in this regard on the CN/EN ROM. I believe this is an issue particular to the Indian ROM.

Wow, those are very detailed, easy to follow instructions. Will definitely be using them. Thanks. Glad to hear the Chinese/EN rom seems to be doing well with notifications.

Thanks for the compliment Jh1, it's much appreciated. Smile

BTW, the Redmi 4 Prime posts split off to here: http://www.chinaphonearena.com/forum/Thr...ime-review