www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: What mediatek should do...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
... is let the cores in its 8-core chips run at a higher than sustainable clock speed for short bursts of time and then power them down when the heat limit is exceeded. since the 8-core chip always has other cores on backup this guarantees that single-threaded operations always happen at above-normal clock speeds...

Basically Intel's "Turbo Burst" concept applied to octa-core processing.
(2013-11-29, 19:51)Rdmkr Wrote: [ -> ]... is let the cores in its 8-core chips run at a higher than sustainable clock speed for short bursts of time and then power them down when the heat limit is exceeded. since the 8-core chip always has other cores on backup this guarantees that single-threaded operations always happen at above-normal clock speeds...

Basically Intel's "Turbo Burst" concept applied to octa-core processing.

Well, I think they should make their chips run at the advertised speed. My MT6572 only goes up to 1001 MHz, when it should be 1.2 GHz. Also, the Mali MP400 seems to be under-performing. Nothing ever runs smoothly on it, when I'd expect it to be about the same as the Samsung Galaxy S2 (1.2 GHz dual core, Mali MP400).