www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: [Tutorial] How to modify your EBR and change your partitions for MTK6589T, MTK6582
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
How to modify your EBR and change your partitions for MT6589, MT6589T, MT6582, MT6577, MT6577,MT6592

Show Content

[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

Show Content

Show Content
First flaw I see in this scheme is where you change only the first byte of an integer data type. What you are changing the values to, are only a rough approximations because you don't take into account the rest of three bytes. All four bytes (32 bits) must be looked at as a whole. Otherwise you could be left off with some unallocated memory that won't be visible to the system, and in that way wasted.

Could you please send me original EBR's for iNew V3? And/or for some other models, but please write how much memory is dedicated to each of the partitions (phone storage, system storage, etc). Maybe I can develop a Windows application which can change all those hex values automaticaly. The user would only have to change ratios by clicking on the spin up/down controls without entering specific values, and the application would take care of everything else.

BTW, you said that EBR1 contains the value for internal storage, that's clear. But in EBR2, if one value is for system storage, what is second one used for? ROM or what?

EDIT: and how does "24 steps" thing from the other thread fits into this story? I see value 24 in EBR2 (before the values), but that's definitely not it. It's hex 24, hence decimal 36.
There's much more to this EBR hack thing than just changing individual bytes.
[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

Every byte has its meaning, and changing a specific one (for example the partition size) has an impact on one or more other bytes which also must reflect the new change (for example the end offset of the partition which size is beeing changed, and start offset of the next partition, if there is one).

I'm starting to believe that partition size mods are for eyes only. Sooner or later there could be a fatal problem. I just don't know what the factory format does after applying this mods? Does it retain the partition size and fix other values/bytes automaticaly? Because if it's not doing that, it could be the reason for the [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register] one of our forum members have.

Any thoughts about that? Oppinions? Theories?
The types of mods cause no fatal problems. Factory reset should retain the changes as well.

The mod is doing exactly as you've described. Designating the starting and ending points within the logical partitions.

From the link at wikipedia you provided:
Quote: If another logical partition follows, then the first EBR will contain an entry pointing to the next EBR; thus, multiple EBRs form a linked list.

That's all we're doing is changing the starting entry and exit points.

Functionally I've had no problem with this. The way NexusTrix has described it is how I do it as well. It's how thousands of MTK users have been modding their EBR for many years without issue. It's certainly not 'for eyes only'.

MT6582, its somewhat of an unknown with these mods, but the EBRs seem the same. I wouldn't be so vain as to say it's absolutely impossible there's more to the mod to make it perfect. It could also be an issue with the firmware reporting incorrect free space.
I developed a small and simple windows console application which modifies EBR files. There's no more need for HxD editor, because the app automaticaly changes all the values at correct offsets in both EBR1 and EBR2 files.

In order to change your system partition size, just put both EBR files and this application inside the same folder, then run the application and follow the instructions. Everything is self explainatory, so there's no need for readme file and such.

Source code is included, so if you think this application could be malicious, you can compile it yourself using Microsoft Visual Studio. I'm not help responsible if your device goes "poof" after applying this patch, so you do everything at your own risk.

Thanks goes to NexusTrix for finding out specific values at correct EBR offsets, and that's the only place where all the magic happens. I just automated the whole process. Please feel free to comment on it and test it with your EBR's. All bugs and suggestions can be sent via PM too.

Download link: [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]
(please don't reupload it on other sites)
Ridiculously awesome Burs. Thanks for this contribution.
@Burs

(2014-01-14, 23:23)Burs Wrote: [ -> ]In order to change your system partition size, just put both EBR files and this application inside the same folder, then run the application and follow the instructions. Everything is self explainatory, so there's no need for readme file and such.

Doesn't seem to work. Just says:

Error: EBR file not found or file size mismatch!

Both EBR files are in the same folder, I'm on Windows 7. Even if I run as windows xp SP3, no joy. Any ideas?

In the meantime I edited the files manually. So internal is now 2.5GB and storage is 512MB.

Does anyone know how to stop the phone storage from auto mounting in windows? Its annoying.
This is my existing EBR1 and EBR2 from Gionee's GBW192. The size of /data is 2,264,924,160 bytes (based on MDT Block Info).

[attachment=667][attachment=668]

The value is different from this tutorial, and that's why Meteos repartition tools are not working properly in my device.
(2014-01-15, 00:51)Android-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't seem to work. Just says:
Error: EBR file not found or file size mismatch!
Both EBR files are in the same folder, I'm on Windows 7. Even if I run as windows xp SP3, no joy. Any ideas?

Sorry for late reply. I didn't get email notification about new replies in this thread...

This error should only come up if there are no EBR1 and EBR2 files in the same folder in which the .exe file resides, and also if any of the EBR files have a size less or more than 512 bytes. So, if all of that is not the case, maybe it's due to folder access rights. Can you please try to move the whole folder inside you profile folder (ie. My Documents, or similar one)? You could also send me the files via PM, maybe I can see more clearly what's going on.

Thanks for testing Smiling
I have a MT6592 with 32Gb ROM divided into a 6Gb and a 22Gb partitions. What values would I need to try to get just 1 32Gb partiton?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13