www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: How to Connect open public wifi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sometimes, some people will find it difficult to connect to the WIFI, especially when they try to connect the public open WIFI even, the signal strength is fair to strong.

below is the step to easily connect to the WIFI.

long press the wfif ID which u want to connect

then hit "modify network"

checked "show advance options"

then at the IP setting change "DHCP" to "static"

under IP address
then change the value of the last number to any number between to 1 to 254
the number is always look like

192.168.1.xxx
xxx is the last number. u can choose from 1 to 254, ( try to choose bigger number, because the smaller number most likely occupied by other people
)

for those people who find it difficult to connect to public wifi, if u do the above step, u will see that yr last number should be 128
I use an app called wifipass, works great it will find and test every WiFi near your phone and tell you how to connect to the WiFi.
@stevenma61 Thanks for this. I'd never thought about it before, but I could see it being pretty useful for a public network. They have congested open-wifi at a soccer stadium I frequent. I will try this out next time I'm there.

@vampirefo Thank you for this as well. I just installed this and will try it out too. I actually installed what appears to be the same app by the same developer but with a different name. "FreeZone". It maps all the local free wifi hotspots, as well as those with which users have shared the passwords.
in normal cases, most of the phone will search and assign the IP address automatically, but sometimes, some roms, it would not, so the only way is to do it manually, but u need to do the number few times, bcause, u never know if the address has been taken.

So far I did not try any other app, I am quite sure there is other app that help to assign the IP address automatically while the auto function of the rom crash.
Hi

Just tried a few of those free wifi apps. I noticed there was a negative comment on a risk that you might be opening up your own server. Not sure if you agree but suggest you do not click on "share passwords" if you use either of those apps

Let me know if you don't understand what I am alluding to.
ya, i did try some app, they did ask if u want to share yr password.

of couse, i will not share my wifi password on the net.

if u do, it mean somebody nearby, using the same app, then they can have yr password from the app, they log into yr wifi n surf on the net
(2014-06-09, 20:57)stevenma61 Wrote: [ -> ]ya, i did try some app, they did ask if u want to share yr password.

of couse, i will not share my wifi password on the net.

if u do, it mean somebody nearby, using the same app, then they can have yr password from the app, they log into yr wifi n surf on the net

I own 5 acres of land, so you would need a powerful device to get my wifi, go on down the road 1 minute get free wifi at mcdonalds Yea Right
my router has the ability to degrade power transmission as well
Well just for the heck of it, I downloaded the shared keys, well I clicked the button, it's just a joke window, nothing is downloaded, anyway formatted phone, download app again, downloaded keys (not really the app pretends to download keys but doesn't even attempt to connect to internet) aI try to connect to my router, no go, had to type password in myself.

So the downloading of keys is just a joke, it doesn't download any keys.
(2014-06-09, 21:02)vampirefo Wrote: [ -> ]I own 5 acres of land, so you would need a powerful device to get my wifi, go on down the road 1 minute get free wifi at mcdonalds Yea Right

You live on 5 acres that's one minute away from a McDonalds? If that isn't paradise, I don't know what is!
Pages: 1 2