www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: Noob in too deep ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
g'day
my first post so be kind please. Rolleyes

so i have an S4 clone, bought new from Ebay about 6 months ago. it never worked properly from the word go with many of my apps, exhibiting the "google play services not installed" dialogue.
otherwise it was ok but i really needed to install my fire alerting app so i tried a myriad of online suggestions but nothing ever worked. i did manage to get Root Explorer happening and sideloaded(?) various apk's that promised resolution. either i never quite got it right or somehow stuffed it up and in frustration i did a full reset from settings.
net result ? google play now crashes all the time so i can't re-install any rooting software. most pre-installed apps still work but the weather is from Beijing etc etc. may of the
i have since found ChinaPhoneArena Big Grin where the tutorials seem easy to comprehend so i'd like a path to follow in order to start from scratch to install a fresh rom and to enjoy google integration etc.
the hardware i have is, i'm sure, very capable but right now the software sucks big time.
i don't even know what MTK model the phone is. it was 'advertised' as a goophone but just carries the samsung logo. all i want is a useful tool, not a frustrating lemon.

any help gratefully received.
Have you tried installing the entire gapps package from a custom recovery?

If not, that is what you'll want to do. There are several gapps packs and some will work better than others.

If you don't have CWM yet... Look in the tutorials section and build a CWM for your phone.

Maybe it's a question of semantics, but Google play has nothing to do with rooting your phone.
Thanks Sniper47
24 hours is a long time in Android learning curve land ! I have got part way through one of the tutorials today enough that i think i now understand your statement regarding the relevance of (or lack of) Google Play and rooting. all my previous attempts had been phone based but today I have made the connection via usb and got the phone readable by the MTKDroidTool but have, as yet, been unable to create a scatter file. (button remains greyed out)
Oh well, rest the brain and try again tomorrow. I WILL get a nice, reliable phone happening one day..........
I have no technical additions for this thread. Just wanted you to know that I've read it several times and am rooting for you. Sorry you had to learn the hard way, but Sniper is the best mentor you could come across. GApps is the remedy you seek. Good luck!
(2014-05-08, 00:26)pomonastik Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Sniper47
24 hours is a long time in Android learning curve land ! I have got part way through one of the tutorials today enough that i think i now understand your statement regarding the relevance of (or lack of) Google Play and rooting. all my previous attempts had been phone based but today I have made the connection via usb and got the phone readable by the MTKDroidTool but have, as yet, been unable to create a scatter file. (button remains greyed out)
Oh well, rest the brain and try again tomorrow. I WILL get a nice, reliable phone happening one day..........

In the lower left corner of MtkDroids you see a green, yellow or red square. If its not green its not rooted right.

So hit superuser button and root your device.

Remember to back up everything before you try another rom so you can get back if you semi brick it.