www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: MT6572 stuck at "Select Boot Mode" screen...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

This is the phone I have, some sort of fake Huawei Honor 3C:
Code:
Hardware : MT6572 (MT6589 is Fake!)
Model : android
Build number : ALPS.JB3.MP.V1.6
Build date UTC : 20140121-050308
Android  v : 4.2.2
Baseband v: MOLY.WR8.W1315.MD.WG.MP.V4.P6, 2013/11/13 11:04
Kernel v : 3.4.5 (lxy@tastech-desktop) (gcc version 4.6.x-google 20120106 (prerelease) (GCC) ) #1 SMP  Tue Jan 21 18:49:48 CST 2014
Uboot build v : -----
LCD Driver IC : 1-iti9806_dsi_vdo

I connected a USB cable while USB debugging is on but something strange happened and the screen went blank and unresponsive. So I unplugged it and hard restarted the phone, and it came up with a text menu with a small font:
Code:
Select boot mode:
VOLUME_UP to select. VOLUME_DOWN is OK
Recovery Mode
Fastboot Mode
Normal Boot

But I can't select anything from the menu as the arrow is constantly moving and the buttons are unresponsive.

I've managed to get into the Chinese character "Factory Mode" by battery out, battery in, and holding DOWN VOL + POWER. This got me ADB.

Done a backup from the MTK Droid Root & Tools v2.5.3, and the log was:
Code:
We keep blocks:
- preloader_and_dsp - ERROR :  Zero file, no space left on device!
--- We keep folders contents copying on PC
   - /data/nvram
   - /system
  --- We pack everything kept in archive: D:\APPS\MTK\MTKDroidTools\backups\android_140121_backup_140511-014003.zip
--- task end with ERROR  ---

I can't find the firmware for this thing anywhere, what can I do in adb shell to fix this? Any other suggestions please?
no space left on device!

to me means you ran out of space to store or make a backup.

I am a Linux guy, not windows so can't really help you with MTK Droid Root which is a windows app, have you installed cwm recovery? if not can you install cwm recovery?

without cwm recovery installed, I don't know how to advise you, if you had cwm recovery installed, backup what you got, then factory reset.
Well the backup is just going to give you what it's already got. That likely won't help you. Did you create and install a custom recovery via MTK Droid Tools or do anything else? That boot menu looks like it's modified boot.img.
Ok, I now got it to boot (sort of), by doing the following:

1. Pull out battery and put back in
2. Go into Factory Mode by holding (DOWN VOL) + (POWER)
3. Plug USB cable into PC
4. adb reboot-bootloader
5. Phone shows "FASTBOOT MODE"
6. With USB connection still plugged into PC, "FASTBOOT CONTINUE"

This gets me into Android as expected... but each time I reboot or power cycle, then it will go back into the "Select boot mode" screen.

Any ideas how to fix the bootup defaults? Cheers
@mincemeat, Did you ever modify or flash boot.IMG or CWM?

Either way, flashing a stock or backup boot.IMG may solve the problem.

This sounds like someone at some point put a modified boot.IMG on that phone.
Good news is that I finally found a suitable ROM:
[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

I used the SP Flash Tools to format and flash then entire thing from the preloader onwards. It went sucessfully.

Bad news is that I'm still stuck with the "Select Boot Mode" screen and had to use the same workaround to boot into Android. Everything else works correctly once I'm booted into Android, though (and de-badged from the fake Huawei logo)

So I looked at the ROM using a hex editor, and the offending screen is actually in the lk.bin file, that loads even before it gets into boot.img.

So, I don't think any amount of trying to install CWM will help.

Has anybody put a lk.bin through a disassembler before? Maybe I'll be able to patch away whatever check that it does to fall into that menu...

(2014-05-17, 02:00)DirKNirK Wrote: [ -> ]@mincemeat, Did you ever modify or flash boot.IMG or CWM?

Either way, flashing a stock or backup boot.IMG may solve the problem.

This sounds like someone at some point put a modified boot.IMG on that phone.
I know this is the 3rd time I've asked this, but I guess I'll try again. Did you previously flash a modified boot.img?

Also, have you tried flashing a lk.bin and/or boot.img from a stock or untouched backup?
(2014-05-17, 18:18)Sniper47 Wrote: [ -> ]I know this is the 3rd time I've asked this, but I guess I'll try again. Did you previously flash a modified boot.img?
No.

(2014-05-17, 18:18)Sniper47 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, have you tried flashing a lk.bin and/or boot.img from a stock or untouched backup?

Yes, as above after I found the stock ROM. The entire phone was reformatted and flashed, all the way from the pre-loader onwards.
Okay. Wasn't trying to be rude. Just process of elimination.

Is this really the ROM for your phone, or just guessing?

I think something that's normally protected got corrupted or partially written over. Perhaps NVRAM.

I would recommend formatting prior to flash download, though I'm not hopeful that would solve the issue.

Perhaps format everything including boot loader prior to flash, but then you will need fresh uncorrupted NVRAM to restore.

If you can't obtain it from another user with the phone, then do a backup of current nvram. Format everything prior to flash and download flash the ROM, then boot and restore NVRAM.
I have exactly the same problem and can not solve Further I need help.
Pages: 1 2