www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: Android Device Manager - why you should use it
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since my wife's Galaxy Note was stolen last weekend, i thought i would share my view on the Android Device Manager and why you should use it.

so what is it?
ADM enables you to track, remotely lock and/or erase your Android phone.
you can also use it to find your misplaced phone as you can set it to ring at full volume for 5 minutes.

how to use?
login with your google account at:
[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]
and/or install on your smartphone from play store:
[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]&hl=en
if you have not set up the feature, it will show you an option "Set up Lock&Erase".
once you do that, it will be sent to your phone, where you have to approve it.
once approved, the display on the web will change to the options "Ring" "Lock" "Erase"
the option do the following:
"Ring" - as stated above, will ring your device at full volume for 5 minutes
"Lock" - will lock your device so noone can use it
"Erase" - will erase your data from the phone

why should you use it?
in case your phone gets lost or stolen, as long as it is connected to the internet you can remotely lock&erase it.
while it most probably wont bring back your phone, at least your data can be wiped and the phone &data made useless or unavailable for the thief.

also, it is a good tip to keep your IMEI number with you so if your phone is stolen you can report the IMEI to the police - they can enter it in a database so it will be locked for many carriers - meaning the thief will have a useless phone as no sim card will work in it.

while all this is not foolproof and doesn't warrant your data will be safe (use encryption for that) it can be helpful.

also, always use at least a PIN code to lock your phone and your SIM cards.
while it is a bit of a pain, it will help so any thief wont be able to use your SIM or phone to make expensive calls for you and get easily to all your accounts and data.

Make sure you know the hotline number of your carrier to lock a stolen SIM card as soon as you can.

(fortunately, my wife's phone had PINs for everything, so all the thief could get was the data stored on the sd card, which basically were just a bunch of family photos)

hope this helps you a little and gets you to think about security of your phone and data a bit.
GREAT advice, @linr76 !

Also, if you're living in the USA, be sure to alert the police as a first step. Don't go all vigilante and try to recover the device yourself. Get the proper authorities involved before you set off the ringer.

I'm sorry to hear your wife's phone got stolen. Happy to hear her data is safe.