www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: Use Micro SD card as RAM????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I get my Cat B15 back I'd like to use a Class 10 micro SD card as RAM because the Cat B15 only has 512K. My question is how exactly do I do that?
You can't really, you can make a swap file or swap partition on your sdcard, and use that, which is similar to ram but not ram. easiest way is to root phone, go to market download Swapper for Root or some other swap app and use it, your kernel must support swap also or swap wont work.
if you plan on using swap on sd, do NOT choose class 10 but instead class 4 sd card.
class 4 sdcard is MUCH faster for small random r/w which is how swap will behave.
class 10 is only good for large file operations and a lot SLOWER than class 4 for small files and random access.
do make sure the kernel supports swap, otherwise it will not work.
if your phone is supported by Cyanogenmod, swap will work, you will have to partition your sdcard with eg. Clockworkmod recovery to enable a swap partition.
Since you will be using a phone with only 512mb of ram ( and you will only have more or less 300mb free ram), make sure you enable developer mode (Settings>About Phone>rapidly tap Build Number 7 times), then go into Developer Options in Settings, enable developer mode from top right, scroll down until you see Background process limit, and choose at most 4 processes.

What this will do is keep your ram mostly free for foreground tasks.
(2014-08-12, 17:31)tkitts Wrote: [ -> ]You can't really, you can make a swap file or swap partition on your sdcard, and use that, which is similar to ram but not ram. easiest way is to root phone, go to market download Swapper for Root or some other swap app and use it, your kernel must support swap also or swap wont work.

I'm a nood, I don;t even know what a kernel is.
(2014-08-13, 03:48)jawara Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-12, 17:31)tkitts Wrote: [ -> ]You can't really, you can make a swap file or swap partition on your sdcard, and use that, which is similar to ram but not ram. easiest way is to root phone, go to market download Swapper for Root or some other swap app and use it, your kernel must support swap also or swap wont work.

I'm a nood, I don;t even know what a kernel is.

Fortunately, the kernel is not the important part here. Major highlights to be concerned with:

1. Using an SD card for RAM isn't going to give you the performance increase of actually having RAM, but if your phone is capable of doing it, it may help. (Thanks tkitts)

2. In order to use your SD card for a swap file (kind of like virtual-RAM), you'll need to root your phone, then install one of the apps listed above. (Thanks tikitts)

3. Class-10 SD cards are not optimal for swap files. They're substantially slower than Class-4 cards. If you have a Class-4 card lying around, it might be worth using instead. (Thanks Linr)

4. Since your phone has very little RAM, doing the tweak that 1ikhan recommended will probably give you a performance increase as well. In fact, this performance increase may be better than what you would get from using your SD card for swapping. 1ikhan's tweak can be done instead of messing around with swap files, or in addition to it. (Thanks 1ikhan)

Hope that clears things up. Let us know how it goes, or if you get hung up on any step in the process. In any case, best of luck!