www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: [NYTimes] California Governor Signs Law Requiring a ‘Kill Switch’ on Smartphones
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
California Governor Signs Law Requiring a ‘Kill Switch’ on Smartphones

The law requires smartphones sold in California to include antitheft technology, a feature that lawmakers hope will lead to a cool down in phone theft, now the hottest urban crime.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/08/25...artphones/
So instead of stealing smart phones... Criminals will just steal something else and resort to more drastic measures to get what they need, most likely causing more harm and danger to innocents.

There is no end to the stupidity of government. More red tape, more regulations. Asia is laughing their way to the bank, while the West concerns themselves with silly things.
I see parallels in the car industry adopting immoblizers

Initially thieves stole older cars....then they did house breaks to get the keys.

I see no change in theft rates.....some phones will now be binned or thrown in deep water. No change to human behaviour but some increase in profits to companies like Apple.

Wait for the slogan to come out?
Would you spend an extra penny to protect your phone and freedom?
I don't see the phone companies being happy at this news. They must now produce different types of handsets, or at least take steps to make sure it's enforced in certain areas but not in others. As well as employ personnel to handle the human resources and tech side of things.

The government will be required to do so too. Which means more government jobs, more taxes.

This sort of thing is by no means limited to USA. Red tape, committees etc.. surrounds everything much of the West does. It's one of the reasons Asia is able to produce goods so cheaply (of course there are other aspects... Cheaper labor, etc...)