www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: Soldering extra RAM ??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is how the motorola phone assembly factory looks like:
[attachment=1928]
The grey lines on the floor are actual anti-static zones where the workers are supposed to place their feet. Their trousers have a strip beneath their shoes that keep their conductive cloths in contact with the anti-static mat, either direct or through the conductive platforms.

This is the inside of wafer/die factory:
[attachment=1930]
The operators are working in a class 10 (or better, like philips that has class 4) cleanroom manipulating the robots located inside the vacuum production line.
[attachment=1929]
The wafer/die is never touched by humans during production. Each production step takes place in a separated vacuum room. These robot cost between 50 and 600 million $. The total cost of such a factory goes at about 6 billion$. The workers are cleaned individually in a special partical cleaning room before entering the factory. They cannot wear makeup or any deodorant as it contaminates the air in the cleanroom.

I think this makes quite clear what the measures in my post#4 refer to.

The image of the ram chip in post #8 is a relatively simple chip not to go into too much detail. I could have easily posted an image of a mcp162 package (much used in todays phones) to make my point.
Ah no, sorry. I did not mean fabrication but the handling of wafers. But wafers are still inspected manually.

Yes that package is the ball grid I was talking about with the GPU (need to use hot air). These packages are widely used, we know: CPUs, uCs, uPs, GPUs, etc. Still it is fine to handle these ICs.

I am trying to help darren out with an option. His idea and intention is interesting and in my opinion is not too impossible as it is being laid out to seem like. All I am saying is ICs are quite resilient -- even these types of ICs, whatever package they come in.
If any probability to success would lead, in a hobby style fashion I would probably choose [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register] to save on expenses. Comes with hot air and several tools and tips to do rework on smd. Whether this would suffice is to be seen.
On a bit more professional level it would be [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register] being capable of reworking smt and bga, using infrared. Please see the photos in the description as these actually show a phone's board being used.
It would also be desirable to have a minimum esd-safe workspace like [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register] not costing too much but at least to have a minimum insurance of static-free handling.
Pages: 1 2