www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: JIAYU G3S MTK6589 worth it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I need a new phone bad.. Max I'm willing to wait is one month.. Is the price on jiayu g4 expected to drop soon, or should i just get the G3S? The antutu scores of the upgraded g3s with the mtk6589 chips seem to be the same as the G4.. Besides the better camera where the hype?
(2013-06-05, 10:13)diehack Wrote: [ -> ]I need a new phone bad.. Max I'm willing to wait is one month.. Is the price on jiayu g4 expected to drop soon, or should i just get the G3S? The antutu scores of the upgraded g3s with the mtk6589 chips seem to be the same as the G4.. Besides the better camera where the hype?

I'm not sure what the current price difference is or which version of G4 you're looking at. Future models of Jiayu G4 are supposed to have 2GB RAM, 32GB ROM, OTG and likely MTK6589T. With the most important difference being the OTG.

Current G4 is selling for about $220 low-end shipped. Not bad IMO. The Jiayu G3s selling for about $190 low-end shipped. How cheap do you want?

BTW, no Jiayu has 850 or 1900 WCDMA. That puts them out of the running practically for a long term phone for me. Though obviously if you have 2100 WCDMA 3G carrier, you're good to go.
(2013-06-07, 20:13)Gizbeat Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-05, 10:13)diehack Wrote: [ -> ]I need a new phone bad.. Max I'm willing to wait is one month.. Is the price on jiayu g4 expected to drop soon, or should i just get the G3S? The antutu scores of the upgraded g3s with the mtk6589 chips seem to be the same as the G4.. Besides the better camera where the hype?

I'm not sure what the current price difference is or which version of G4 you're looking at. Future models of Jiayu G4 are supposed to have 2GB RAM, 32GB ROM, OTG and likely MTK6589T. With the most important difference being the OTG.

Current G4 is selling for about $220 low-end shipped. Not bad IMO. The Jiayu G3s selling for about $190 low-end shipped. How cheap do you want?

BTW, no Jiayu has 850 or 1900 WCDMA. That puts them out of the running practically for a long term phone for me. Though obviously if you have 2100 WCDMA 3G carrier, you're good to go.

Are you saying you can run a phone on 2100 3G frequency alone in the US? Is that practical? Do you get a reliably stable connection that way?
I've ordered one for a friend of mine, I'll post a review of when it arrives.
(2013-07-27, 23:35)Rdmkr Wrote: [ -> ]Are you saying you can run a phone on 2100 3G frequency alone in the US? Is that practical? Do you get a reliably stable connection that way?
You won't get 3G at all in the US with any current JiaYu phone, or any phone that only has 2100. You need 850,1900, or 1700/2100 AWS. Many China phones have 850, but virtually none of them have 1900 and none of them have 1700/2100 AWS (With the exception of some Huawei penta-band phones)

In addition, just because you have 850, doesn't mean you'll get 3G. You need to be on AT&T or AT&T leased lines and in an area that's using 850.

(2013-07-28, 01:25)MaxP101 Wrote: [ -> ]I've ordered one for a friend of mine, I'll post a review of when it arrives.
Looking forward to it.
I've always had trouble seeing the difference between G3s and G4... But then, if you don't live in the Americas I don't see much of a relevant difference between Cubot GT99 ($155) and G3s either.

I heard from an unconfirmed source that the expected price of G4 Advanced was bumped up to over $300 recently...

ps. if you're willing to jump off the quad-core hype bandwagon you can go even cheaper with a 1.5 Ghz dual core Krait (3.3DMIPs/Mhz vs. A7's 1.9) Haier W910 for +/- $130. Quite possibly the cheapest 720p screen phone on the market and not even a bad one.
(2013-08-02, 20:35)Rdmkr Wrote: [ -> ]I've always had trouble seeing the difference between G3s and G4... But then, if you don't live in the Americas I don't see much of a relevant difference between Cubot GT99 ($155) and G3s either.

I heard from an unconfirmed source that the expected price of G4 Advanced was bumped up to over $300 recently...

ps. if you're willing to jump off the quad-core hype bandwagon you can go even cheaper with a 1.5 Ghz dual core Krait (3.3DMIPs/Mhz vs. A7's 1.9) Haier W910 for +/- $130. Quite possibly the cheapest 720p screen phone on the market and not even a bad one.
The G3s is quite a blocky thing, but has a very unique style to it. The G4 is more mainstream looking.
Have received the G3s. Had about half a day with it, not very long, too short for an extensive review.
It's a cool thing, not as much aluminium as I thought it would pack, but yeah it's a nice phone; it's sturdy and auto-brightness works.
But damn, it's thick, if you own one I'm sure you'll get used to it but yeah it's quite bulky.
Am still recommending it to other friends Thumbs Up.
The new G3T Turbo version with 1.5Ghz cpu and 3000 mAh battery looks like a very solid phone. Just hope the big battery doesnt make it cumbersome.

Only weakness is you can get FHD for not much more, though that comes at a performance tradeoff too.

MTK T at 720p should get a Samsung GS3 antutu score!
(2013-08-12, 06:21)MaxP101 Wrote: [ -> ]Have received the G3s. Had about half a day with it, not very long, too short for an extensive review.
It's a cool thing, not as much aluminium as I thought it would pack, but yeah it's a nice phone; it's sturdy and auto-brightness works.
But damn, it's thick, if you own one I'm sure you'll get used to it but yeah it's quite bulky.
Am still recommending it to other friends Thumbs Up.

Yea, the G3 is definitely a boxy fellow. Regardless, I like it's original style. I'd be looking hard at the G3S if it wasn't for lack of 850MHz WCDMA.

Looking forward to some photos and your review.
Pages: 1 2