www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: Custom ROM for MT6582M based Coolpad 8017
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I have recently purchased a Coolpad 8017 in China. It contains a MT6582M processor and is running Android 4.4.2. Can anyone suggest a suitable ROM for this device?

Thanks,
Andrew.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new phone!

It seems there haven't been any custom roms developed yet. You may need to wait a while.
I did not see any stock ROMs available either, so it would be best if you made a backup of yours, if you don't have one yet.

Is there something wrong with the current one, though?

Here are some tutorials to making ROM backups:
If rooted: [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]
If not rooted: [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

The second link can also direct you to creating CWM without root access. You will have an option to create a backup of your system files and data with CWM too.

NVRAM backup: [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

Also, some sellers may waive warranty agreements upon rooting (not sure about installing custom recoveries). You may want to check if you don't want your warranty to be dishonored.
Hi there,

Thanks for the welcome. My main aim is to enable Google Play Store and perhaps some other Google apps. I have (apparently) rooted the phone using Kingo Root and Super SU is functional. I attempted to install Google Play and the associated framework using the guide on theandriodpit.com (I'm not a member there, I found it through a Google search):

Here is the guide:

Download a couple of APKs, you can usually find the newest bundle in a zip package on XDA Developers:

•Google Play Store (the newest version you can find)
•Google Services Framework
•Google Login Service/Account Manager
If you are rooted you can copy them to your root directory to System/App using a root manager like ES File Explorer. Then just restart your device.

When I try to access Google Play and it asks me to enter my account information, this message appears: ''Unfortunately, Google Services Framework has stopped''. Then after inputting my email and password, it hangs on the 'Signing in....''This can take a few minutes.....'' screen.

Is my phone rooted properly? Have I missed any important steps? What else could be the problem?

I thought the flashing of an entirely new ROM would be a valid option due to the failure of the above method. Surely their are many ROMs available for phones built around the MT6582M processor? I mean, 'Coolpad 8017' is purely branding, isn't it? I also would like to flash for educational purposes.

Thanks,
Andrew.
You can use root checker apps to determine if you have true root.

Try going into Settings>Apps. track down Google Service Framework, clear the cache and data and retry. If you still get force closes, try installing a different gapps pack.
There is a tutorial for installing gapps here [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

@"Sniper47" linked to this [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]
Try and find the appropriate pack for your phone. The zipped files have indications to which OS they are compatible.
Also read through the thread, seems like a user had a similar force close problem. He solved it by finding the correct apks and installing them manually.

ROMs are tricky stuff. You need one that is made exactly for your phone, otherwise risk malfunctioning of certain features, installing incorrect drivers, or could possibly brick your phone.