www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: Star b9493
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently purchased my first smartphone, It is a Star B943. This the quad core version. The phone tells me it is set to English, however Chinese appears to randomly make it's presence known. Some of the notifications are in Chinese. I have tried to delete some of the Chinese, but I get warning, ( in English) that deleting this thing in Chinese may cause instability or worse. My service is provided by T-Mobile. The phone also will not operate in 3G/4G only 2G (Edge). Is it possible that "rooting" and installing a new "ROM" will solve my problems. If the answer is yes; can it be accomplished with the expectation it will work?

Thank You,

Bill Rozack
(2013-06-09, 14:00)br792 Wrote: [ -> ]I recently purchased my first smartphone, It is a Star B943. This the quad core version. The phone tells me it is set to English, however Chinese appears to randomly make it's presence known. Some of the notifications are in Chinese. I have tried to delete some of the Chinese, but I get warning, ( in English) that deleting this thing in Chinese may cause instability or worse. My service is provided by T-Mobile. The phone also will not operate in 3G/4G only 2G (Edge). Is it possible that "rooting" and installing a new "ROM" will solve my problems. If the answer is yes; can it be accomplished with the expectation it will work?

Thank You,

Bill Rozack

Hello Bill, thanks for posting here.

The first thing I would do is a factory reset. That will wipe the data partition that's often flashed to the phone prior to shipping and often contains most of the Chinese garbage.

You can't get 3G because T-Mobile doesn't operate 3G on 850MHz. You need to be on AT&T or an AT&T MVNO AND be in an area that is supporting 850MHz (AT&T also uses 1900MHz in some areas). The best way to test if your area has AT&T 850MHz before you switch carriers is to borrow a friend's AT&T/AT&T MVNO SIM and test it out.

Let us know your results.
I tried a factory reset; the only thing that changed was the APPS I had down loaded went away. The Chinese "stuff" is still present. What do you recommend I try next?

Thank You
The next step is to root. See the auto root threads in root develop forum. Then install Titanium Backup. Remove everything with Chinese characters or Chinese names. Maybe backup an app you think may be important before removing. Titanium is great for this, but the interface takes some getting used to.
Thank you; I will let you know what happens. Will this replace the ROM? Is it advisable to replace the ROM at this time?