www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: 7" Android phone (Xiangmi maybe?), just need a starting point. HELP anyone please ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys

This is probably a familiar story.
I've just bought a 7" Chinese phone, I think it's a Xiangmi F7 SC8830, that I thought was coming with Android 4.4 on it, instead it's got some sort of proprietary launcher on it, largely in Chinese, so I'm looking for a way to do something about it.

Ie can I put standard Android on it so that I can get an English Google Play on it and go from there.

The phone is this one : [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

Happy to pay for a proper rom if I need to.

Can anyone point me in the direction of something that may help ?

The Hardware version is listed as SP8830EC_V1.0.1
The Build Number : P8367AN_JIAHE_A69_V1.1.0_user_r25350

if that helps.

Any help would be useful as this is my first foray into chinese Android phones and didn't realise I'd have to faff around like this.

Thanks everyone.
The Google Play Store is included in GApps. It's a few steps to be able to get it on there, but all of those steps should be outlined here:

[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

Also.... 7-inch phone? Holy smokes! How do you like it? How does it feel in hand?
(2014-11-14, 06:15)WuddaWaste Wrote: [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

Also.... 7-inch phone? Holy smokes! How do you like it? How does it feel in hand?

Thanks very much, I'll take a look at the link.

Well, it's big, but I have big hands. You can't use it 1 handed obviously.
Due to the nature of my job, I'm not allowed a phone in work, so the phone spends it's time in the car or on a table at home.
Since I use the phone mostly for browsing the web, I like to have the biggest screen I can to enjoy my browsing, and for that it should be perfect.

I had the Xperia Z ultra before, 6.4" which was perfect, but it broke and I'm waiting on the release of the Nexus 6, so in the meantime I thought I'd try a 7" Chinese phone.

Could live to regret it if I can't get it going though...
In your link, the seller claims the Google Play Store is included. I'd also take this up immediately with the seller.
Thanks, I have done. Its looking like a refund now, which is a pain.

I want to investigate if I can put a custom version of Android on it, more like regular Android.
Can you tell me what I need to know for that? Is it the CPU (Arm A7)

Thanks mate.
There's a LOT more to a custom ROM than just a CPU unfortunately.

A bare, bare minimum is the CPU and display resolution. With that, you might be able to port a similar ROM to your current phone and have it work around 80%. This is many hours of work and a high, high probability of bricking your phone at least a few times along the way.

You'd be much better off to make a CWM for your phone (you'll have to do this anyway if you're going to start flashing ROMs), then flash on GApps and use a suitable launcher. I'm guessing this is a couple hours of work total. (Someone with experience doing this, please pipe in to verify.)

Honestly, I just took a look at your phone specs and I'm in disbelief. I'm pretty damn sure that the manufacturer and the seller are both lying about the specs on that. There's no way the phone has that chipset, those frequencies, that amount of RAM, and that price tag. Unfortunately, it appears to be a garbage seller hocking a garbage phone through an unregulated garbage marketplace. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, dude, but if a refund is at all possible that's the route I'd be seeking right now.
Thanks for the advice.

I'm just trying to get to a position where I can do something with the phone if I CANT get a refund.

It appears to have something similar to a CWM on it already, but not one with choose zip from sdcard option.

Can this CWM be replaced do you know ?

(2014-11-15, 06:59)WuddaWaste Wrote: [ -> ]There's a LOT more to a custom ROM than just a CPU unfortunately.

A bare, bare minimum is the CPU and display resolution. With that, you might be able to port a similar ROM to your current phone and have it work around 80%. This is many hours of work and a high, high probability of bricking your phone at least a few times along the way.

You'd be much better off to make a CWM for your phone (you'll have to do this anyway if you're going to start flashing ROMs), then flash on GApps and use a suitable launcher. I'm guessing this is a couple hours of work total. (Someone with experience doing this, please pipe in to verify.)

Honestly, I just took a look at your phone specs and I'm in disbelief. I'm pretty damn sure that the manufacturer and the seller are both lying about the specs on that. There's no way the phone has that chipset, those frequencies, that amount of RAM, and that price tag. Unfortunately, it appears to be a garbage seller hocking a garbage phone through an unregulated garbage marketplace. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, dude, but if a refund is at all possible that's the route I'd be seeking right now.
I don't see why it couldn't be.