www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: [ScienceD] Life's extremists may be an untapped source of antibacterial drugs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Life's extremists may be an untapped source of antibacterial drugs

Life's extremists, a family of microbes called Archaea, may be an untapped source of new antibacterial drugs. That conclusion arises from the discovery of the first antibacterial gene in this ancient lineage.

http://feeds.sciencedaily.com/~r/science...102553.htm
Scientists will always find new ways to fight old problems like drug-resistant bacteria but one thing's for sure - the bacteria we are trying to kill will eventually adapt to the new antibiotic and we'll be right back where we started.
Then we'll have to take it to another level and get ahead again. If we can that is. I agree that currently things are not looking so good. There is now super gonorrhea that can't be cured. It's enough to make you want to wear a condom. Fu Man
(2014-11-29, 16:01)Bacon_Puffs Wrote: [ -> ]Then we'll have to take it to another level and get ahead again. If we can that is. I agree that currently things are not looking so good. There is now super gonorrhea that can't be cured. It's enough to make you want to wear a condom. Fu Man

Human knowledge of biology is puny and we are hopelessly outgunned by the worst that nature has to throw at us - that's the reason why we will always fall sick and die no matter how advanced our technology gets. It doesn't surprise me that we can only stand and watch as some diseases slowly drain the life out of our loved ones and there's nothing we can do about it.
(2014-11-30, 04:16)twistyplain Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-29, 16:01)Bacon_Puffs Wrote: [ -> ]Then we'll have to take it to another level and get ahead again. If we can that is. I agree that currently things are not looking so good. There is now super gonorrhea that can't be cured. It's enough to make you want to wear a condom. Fu Man

Human knowledge of biology is puny and we are hopelessly outgunned by the worst that nature has to throw at us - that's the reason why we will always fall sick and die no matter how advanced our technology gets. It doesn't surprise me that we can only stand and watch as some diseases slowly drain the life out of our loved ones and there's nothing we can do about it.
I'll have to disagree with you. We have come far far further at exponential rates in the last 60 years than nature could ever hope to accomplish in thousands or even 10's of thousands.

Give it a few years. We are but infants now in terms of where we're heading. We've only just begun.