www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: [ScienceD] Geoengineering our climate is not a 'quick fix'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Geoengineering our climate is not a 'quick fix'

The deliberate, large-scale intervention in the Earth's climate system is not a "quick fix" for global warming, according to new findings.

http://feeds.sciencedaily.com/~r/science...205712.htm
It's baffling how scientists think that they are more powerful than nature and that they can control what nature seems unable (unwilling) to control. They should accept that nature is perfectly capable of self-sustaining but that can't happen while the human race continues to misuse resources at the current rate. If we cut back on our industrial activities, nature will eventually heal itself but which global corporation is ready to sacrifice its profits for the good of the entire race? Absolutely no company is willing to set aside its avaricious efforts to milk the earth for everything it's got!

I'm not worried for nature because if the human race was removed from the earth, the climate will completely fix itself in a few thousand years. The current attempt at geoengineering is just scientist's way of trying to prove to the world how much they know about nature. The truth is that no matter how much they know, few people are willing to do what must be done and that is to stop the senseless over-exploitation and mistreatment of the earth.
This is such a tough tough issue to figure where is correct. There would be some who would say it's just a matter of time before we ruin the planet for ourselves. So perhaps the answer is to become a space faring species. Or if not, maybe we will mutate/evolve to adapt?

I don't think there's any question we can "beat" nature. I think we can. Look at what we've done in a scant 60 years (since advent of real acceleration of "modern" technology). We are accelerating many fold more than nature, which takes thousands and sometimes hundreds of thousands of years to make significant changes in terms of advancement.

The big issue of course is, do we have enough time to become "advanced" enough to control climate and/or become a space faring species. Drool
(2014-11-29, 15:59)Bacon_Puffs Wrote: [ -> ]This is such a tough tough issue to figure where is correct. There would be some who would say it's just a matter of time before we ruin the planet for ourselves. So perhaps the answer is to become a space faring species. Or if not, maybe we will mutate/evolve to adapt?

I don't think there's any question we can "beat" nature. I think we can. Look at what we've done in a scant 60 years (since advent of real acceleration of "modern" technology). We are accelerating many fold more than nature, which takes thousands and sometimes hundreds of thousands of years to make significant changes in terms of advancement.

The big issue of course is, do we have enough time to become "advanced" enough to control climate and/or become a space faring species. Drool

What geoengineers are trying to do is a rat race because people are making earth worse much faster than other people (or nature) can fix it. I wonder how earth will be a century from now. Do you know that there are some places in China where people will soon have to wear gas masks to breathe properly?

I doubt whether the average human will ever be able to be a space tourist let alone living in space. At the pace everything is going, earth will get really bad really quick because nature is at the brink of giving up its struggle to fix what we have broken. Things like global warming will spiral out of control because soon there will be no more 'resistance' from mother nature.
(2014-11-30, 04:13)twistyplain Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-29, 15:59)Bacon_Puffs Wrote: [ -> ]This is such a tough tough issue to figure where is correct. There would be some who would say it's just a matter of time before we ruin the planet for ourselves. So perhaps the answer is to become a space faring species. Or if not, maybe we will mutate/evolve to adapt?

I doubt whether the average human will ever be able to be a space tourist let alone living in space.
We are but little babies right now. Just starting to crawl. There's no question at all that we will eventually become a space faring species - assuming we last long enough of course.