www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: [NYTimes] Europe Takes Another Look at Net Neutrality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Europe Takes Another Look at Net Neutrality

Some European lawmakers are pushing to loosen the net neutrality rules somewhat, allowing companies to potentially charge for faster access to their networks.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/11/25...eutrality/
The day those horrendous proposals will be enacted into laws will be very dark indeed for the global community. The Internet is supposed to be free to access but it is a little sensible for broadband providers to want to charge a premium for high-speed access to their service due to common congestion issues.

The good thing is that a certain level of free access must be maintained. There is light at the end of the tunnel because even if the proposal was made into law, there are not many companies that will pay for preferential treatment. That means that they will leave more than enough bandwidth unused for the average (non-paying) user.
(2014-11-30, 20:43)twistyplain Wrote: [ -> ]The day those horrendous proposals will be enacted into laws will be very dark indeed for the global community. The Internet is supposed to be free to access but it is a little sensible for broadband providers to want to charge a premium for high-speed access to their service due to common congestion issues.

The good thing is that a certain level of free access must be maintained. There is light at the end of the tunnel because even if the proposal was made into law, there are not many companies that will pay for preferential treatment. That means that they will leave more than enough bandwidth unused for the average (non-paying) user.

I think the congestion issues are just excuses to charge more. I very rarely have any issues with my net speed.
(2014-12-03, 11:57)Bacon_Puffs Wrote: [ -> ]I think the congestion issues are just excuses to charge more. I very rarely have any issues with my net speed.

Yeah, congestion is not so common anymore but I think it will become more common as more people demand broadband access and content gets more bandwidth-hungry. The Internet was designed to prevent congestion and I also have a hunch that broadband providers want to make more money from consumers because they're greedy.