www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: battery problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
both myself and my son inlaw bought thl w200s phones in March this year from 1949deal,in the last few weeks both our phones have been shutting down for no apparent reason,i thought it may have been a app or something draining the battery so i started deleting games and apps,today both myself and my son inlaw decided to look at our phones and found that both batteries are swollen and dont fit flush in the phones now so we presume batteries are at fault,has anybody else had this problem and if so is it covered under warranty??
thanks
Unlikely 1949deal will send batteries.

W200S batteries are very cheap now... About $7 or $8 each. Save yourself the hassle and just order them from aliexpress.

BTW, you're not the only one with this w200s battery problem. Seems to happen after about 6 months or so for those who its happened to.
(2014-12-01, 12:00)Bacon_Puffs Wrote: [ -> ]Unlikely 1949deal will send batteries.

W200S batteries are very cheap now... About $7 or $8 each. Save yourself the hassle and just order them from aliexpress.

BTW, you're not the only one with this w200s battery problem. Seems to happen after about 6 months or so for those who its happened to.

didnt think i would have any luck getting replacement battery so will just order one from aliexpress,thanks for that
(2014-12-01, 12:49)skuzzb Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-12-01, 12:00)Bacon_Puffs Wrote: [ -> ]Unlikely 1949deal will send batteries.

didnt think i would have any luck getting replacement battery so will just order one from aliexpress,thanks for that

Batteries are consumables and manufacturers are usually unwilling to give warranties for them. Even if you found a seller that will give you a warranty on batteries, it probably wouldn't exceed 30 days.

Judging by the symptoms of your batteries, it seems like you overcharged them (probably using chargers from other phones). Most lithium-ion batteries have circuits to protect overcharging but Chinese companies fail to add those circuits to use the extra space to increase battery capacity.

Remember, don't charge a battery with any charger other than the one that was delivered with the phone.
I have used the Chinese charger with a adapter to fit New Zealand power sockets since I bought it except on a couple of occasions at work when I had to borrow a charger from a Samsung Galaxy phone, would have thought using that would have been safe? Am I wrong about that?
(2014-12-03, 05:13)skuzzb Wrote: [ -> ]I have used the Chinese charger with a adapter to fit New Zealand power sockets since I bought it except on a couple of occasions at work when I had to borrow a charger from a Samsung Galaxy phone, would have thought using that would have been safe? Am I wrong about that?

The output power of the Galaxy charger might be way higher than what your battery was made for. It would be safe if you charged it to about 90-95% but once you fully charge the battery and leave it connected, it's like you are forcefully feeding the battery and it's already full. Without an overcharge protection circuit, the poor THL battery will have to take the extra charge and that will definitely damage it.

Overcharging causes oxygen gas to be produced in the battery - that's what causes the battery to swell. At this point the battery is also highly explosive because the electrolyte in li-ion batteries is quite flammable. Needless to say, the capacity of the battery is severely compromised when you overcharge it until it swells. This is why you see li-ion batteries charged to 100% full dropping almost all their charge within a mater of minutes (or seconds).

If a phone's battery is not completely destroyed, you can get 1-2 hours of usage and then the phone goes off without warning. Such a battery also charges from 0-100% suspiciously quickly.
Thanks for that, may explain a few things, just one other question, is it safe to charge through usb on computer then? once again thanks for the info
This has been a typical problem with w200s. Happened to mine and several others as well. Don't know if its a charging problem or battery issue.

The phone should only take in as much as it can receive. For extreme example if you plug a 2A charger, the phone should still only charge at .5A.

You shouldn't have to use the computer to charge it. That will take forever. Just order several batteries. They're like $7 each. Can charge them externally as well and never have to worry about tying your phone to the charger is an added bonus.
(2014-12-03, 08:12)skuzzb Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for that, may explain a few things, just one other question, is it safe to charge through usb on computer then? once again thanks for the info

It's totally safe to charge any phone on a computer's USB connection. A computer's USB ports puts out 5 volts at 0.5 amps - that's safe for any phone. The downside is that it will take much longer for the battery to fully charge because the current is only 500 mA - ordinary phone chargers produce 5 volts at 1-1.2 amps.
(2014-12-03, 10:01)Bacon_Puffs Wrote: [ -> ]This has been a typical problem with w200s. Happened to mine and several others as well. Don't know if its a charging problem or battery issue.

The phone should only take in as much as it can receive. For extreme example if you plug a 2A charger, the phone should still only charge at .5A.

You shouldn't have to use the computer to charge it. That will take forever. Just order several batteries. They're like $7 each. Can charge them externally as well and never have to worry about tying your phone to the charger is an added bonus.

what external battery charger should i be looking for???
Pages: 1 2