www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: Please explain memory to me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello I have a quick question, I opened my phone yesterday (for a screen problem will probable post a question about that later) and noticed a microSD card in there and was wondering which memory is it ROM or RAM and if I can just replace it with something bigger and not effect my phone's operation system.
Which phone do you have? Some phones are like this. They just put an SD card for ROM.

You should be able to upgrade it. Use your PC and copy all files from the old SD to the new one. Then put the new SD card in there.

Let us know how it goes. I've seen this before, but never bothered to actually swap it to see. I'm curious!
(2015-02-05, 13:36)DirKNirK Wrote: [ -> ]Which phone do you have? Some phones are like this. They just put an SD card for ROM.

You should be able to upgrade it. Use your PC and copy all files from the old SD to the new one. Then put the new SD card in there.

Let us know how it goes. I've seen this before, but never bothered to actually swap it to see. I'm curious!

So basically the ROM and RAM are on that same card? or are there two different locations for this?
I have a note 3 clone, SM-N900 and thanks for the response.
(2015-02-05, 14:15)gmcclintock Wrote: [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]. But, the short answer is: no, ROM and RAM aren't the same thing.
(2015-02-11, 23:32)WearySky Wrote: [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]. But, the short answer is: no, ROM and RAM aren't the same thing.

I know that ROM (Read Only Memory) (volatile) and RAM (Random Access Memory) are different, I am actually a tech student my question was whether ROM and RAM were on the SAME card for this or any other phone out there. Thanks anyway....
(2015-02-11, 23:44)gmcclintock Wrote: [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]. But, the short answer is: no, ROM and RAM aren't the same thing.

I know that ROM (Read Only Memory) (volatile) and RAM (Random Access Memory) are different, I am actually a tech student my question was whether ROM and RAM were on the SAME card for this or any other phone out there. Thanks anyway....
Apologies, I assumed you were non-technical based on your question. I can't imagine that RAM would *ever* be on an SD card, the performance would be absolutely abysmal. It's one thing to cheap out on non-volatile memory, as most users would be unlikely to notice a HUGE difference between a soldered-on chip vs a removable SD-card... Access times are faster on the soldered-on chip, but the access time speed difference between RAM and an SD card would be orders of magnitude, which would be immediately noticeable.
Ok that answers that question and I should have thought of that, but with these cellphone manufacturers and technology who knows what they are doing. Anyway I tried to put the microSD in my PC to get the data off of it and my PC couldn't read it, it wanted to format it first....I notice this with all the SD cards, flash drives, and HD I purchase from China and don't understand why it is this way. If I can't read the info from the card on my PC then I can't upgrade it right?
(2015-02-12, 00:16)gmcclintock Wrote: [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register] to create an image of your old SD card, and then re-create it on the new SD card. But I imagine the partitioning would be wrong on the new card, so you'd need to expand the user partition as well, which is starting to get out of my areas of expertise. Smiling
(2015-02-12, 00:51)WearySky Wrote: [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register] to create an image of your old SD card, and then re-create it on the new SD card. But I imagine the partitioning would be wrong on the new card, so you'd need to expand the user partition as well, which is starting to get out of my areas of expertise. Smiling

Ok I see, and that is exactly what I am thinking of doing I would like to remove the smaller SD card and replace it with something larger. As partitioning it I may be able to figure that out. I re-partition one of my Chinese clones before but never with a new SD Card replacement so I may have to tap a few people and do some research to see if I can do it with a whole new SD card. Thanks for the info though I appreciate it.
(2015-02-12, 02:32)gmcclintock Wrote: [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register] to create an image of your old SD card, and then re-create it on the new SD card. But I imagine the partitioning would be wrong on the new card, so you'd need to expand the user partition as well, which is starting to get out of my areas of expertise. Smiling

Ok I see, and that is exactly what I am thinking of doing I would like to remove the smaller SD card and replace it with something larger. As partitioning it I may be able to figure that out. I re-partition one of my Chinese clones before but never with a new SD Card replacement so I may have to tap a few people and do some research to see if I can do it with a whole new SD card. Thanks for the info though I appreciate it.
Well, if you've done a repartition before, that's the part that I would find harder. Smiling The nice thing about it being an SD card instead of soldered on is that it should be fairly easy to try to make an image of the current SD, clone it onto the new one, and insert it into the phone to see if it works.
Pages: 1 2