www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: Blackview BV5000 first impressions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Finally got my hands on the BV5000 and here are some initial thoughts after less than 24 hours.

1. Very heavy but solidly built phone. It will definitely take a lot of punishment and good looking too.
2. It does NOT support H+ on AT&T in the South Florida area. I will try my T-Mobile sim later.
3. It charges very slowly. I'm not using the supplied charger or cable so I'll update this later.
4. Despite the apparent slow charge, this is a battery monster so far. The battery seems much heavier than the supposedly same sized one in the THL. Hmmmm.
5. Antutu is 19,962 for this phone and about 30,000 for my THL 5000T. The Blackview is MUCH faster and smoother. My Zenfone 2 is the smoothest phone I've ever owned and this one doesn't frustrate me at all the way the THL did when used back to back. Updates to follow.
6. Pretty much plain 5.1 with some very useful additions from Blackview that I've not fully explored.
7. Call quality is excellent from both ends.
8. Speaker volume is good but I only used it with Here maps and directions could be heard clearly with the radio on.
9. GPS is good. Fast lock and accurate.

So far, so good. If it continues to be consistent I could easily recommend this phone as a daily driver.

To be continued..........................
Nice. This just goes to show, Antutu means really very little these days. Really like the MT6735. Runs Android as smoothly as any SoC out there on 720p (havent tried MT6735 with 1080p yet).

Thanks very much for the first impressions review. Looking forward to your paint bath test Fu Man
(2015-11-05, 19:38)Sniper47 Wrote: [ -> ]Nice. This just goes to show, Antutu means really very little these days. Really like the MT6735. Runs Android as smoothly as any SoC out there on 720p (havent tried MT6735 with 1080p yet).

Thanks very much for the first impressions review. Looking forward to your paint bath test Fu Man

Lol. I'm not going to even try and test it's ruggedness. I bought it for boating and fishing trips and as my back up. The extra peace of mind and big battery were the clinchers.

(2015-11-05, 19:38)Sniper47 Wrote: [ -> ]Nice. This just goes to show, Antutu means really very little these days. Really like the MT6735. Runs Android as smoothly as any SoC out there on 720p (havent tried MT6735 with 1080p yet).

Lol. I'm not going to even try and test it's ruggedness. I bought it for boating and fishing trips and as my back up. The extra peace of mind and big battery were the clinchers.

Ok. So despite claims of Band 1900, I've only managed to get Edge in South Florida on AT&T and T-Mobile. Mobile Uncle is installed but it's not rooted so I'm not really sure what bands it supports. Not a deal breaker for me anyway but I'm now skeptical about the claimed lte bands. In line with that, I got an email from the vendor on shipment that I shouldn't download the pending update upon receipt of the phone. Gizbot needs to step in and assess this phone properly.

Battery wise, I'm on 74% after 13 hours of quite heavy use. By comparison my Zenfone 2 is on 49%. The supplied charger is faster but I won't test it properly until the next cycle. Standby is about 1.4% per hour according to Gsam, which is relatively high with Greenify installed. Nonetheless, the battery life is excellent. Definitely a 3 day phone and I anticipate at least 10-12 hours of SOT. I've only lost 10% battery in the last two hours of constant use. In addition, I've set the display timeout to 1min instead of my normal 30 seconds so that certainly doesn't help. But that's what it's built for and I intend to exploit it.

36 hours later, this is definitely a phone that you can use as a daily driver.

To be continued....................

One more thing is that there is zero bloat. Nothing pre-installed at all in terms of Chinese junk and unnecessary apps.
Here are some Gsam numbers from yesterday. I used Here Maps and gps quite heavily so it's not really 'normal' use. But note the estimated sot at the bottom as measured by Gsam.
5 hours SOT and still 56% left. Very nice.
This phone definitely has no 1900 band wcdma, just 900/2100. Not a deal breaker for me but US buyers beware.
Intriguing phone.
Any trouble with plug covers?
I couldn't get any reliable info about it's weight. Could you put it no a scale?
(2015-11-11, 23:34)Matjazz Wrote: [ -> ]Intriguing phone.
Any trouble with plug covers?
I couldn't get any reliable info about it's weight. Could you put it no a scale?

No issues with plug covers. It weighs approximately 220g.

On a side note, I used it in the pool the other day with zero issues.
(2015-11-09, 04:39)Twotems Wrote: [ -> ]This phone definitely has no 1900 band wcdma, just 900/2100. Not a deal breaker for me but US buyers beware.

To those who are unaware, the BV5000 has been advertised at official Blackview as having 1900 WCDMA, however the screenshot and tests by Twotems shows this to be impossible. Or at least impossible for the unit he received with the software it's currently on.
(2015-11-12, 22:40)Gizbeat Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-09, 04:39)Twotems Wrote: [ -> ]This phone definitely has no 1900 band wcdma, just 900/2100. Not a deal breaker for me but US buyers beware.

To those who are unaware, the BV5000 has been advertised at official Blackview as having 1900 WCDMA, however the screenshot and tests by Twotems shows this to be impossible. Or at least impossible for the unit he received with the software it's currently on.

I have one and used it in the bath and bubbles came out and it broke.
Touchscreen unusable under water anyway.
Most annoying thing besides being crap is NO NOTIFICATION LED!
Feels solid, nice screen, good battery but also a bit too heavy.
Still acceptable for the price, just not the lack of being waterproof.
I'll go for a Lenovo next time if they make another good phone like the A660 or the S750 that ARE waterproof.

cheers
Pages: 1 2 3