www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: STAR 9500 gps problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just bought a Star N9500. with MOLY.WR8.W1248.MD.W6... 2013/04/12, KERNEL VER. 3.4.5 (root@android) Andr. Ver 4.2.1 and SW Ver ALPS.JB2.MP.V 1.2.

The GPS is not working. No fix, loaded all AGPS data and EPO data, still not a single fix. In engineer mode says MTK_GPS_MT6628 and MNL_VER_13012901ALPS05.

Furthermore, there is no orientation sensor, gyroscope or gravity - compass sensor ( I checked with various hardware info tools.

Seller told me to do Factory Reset, which I did with no result. Then seller told me to uninstall GPS and install a new one with no other explanations (go ask to a phone repair shop. were his exact saying).
Maybe I could reinstall ROM, but I have no knowledge, flash programs nor correct ROM for that.
Please help!!
(2013-05-21, 17:08)sotinemo Wrote: [ -> ]Just bought a Star N9500. with MOLY.WR8.W1248.MD.W6... 2013/04/12, KERNEL VER. 3.4.5 (root@android) Andr. Ver 4.2.1 and SW Ver ALPS.JB2.MP.V 1.2.

The GPS is not working. No fix, loaded all AGPS data and EPO data, still not a single fix. In engineer mode says MTK_GPS_MT6628 and MNL_VER_13012901ALPS05.

Furthermore, there is no orientation sensor, gyroscope or gravity - compass sensor ( I checked with various hardware info tools.

Seller told me to do Factory Reset, which I did with no result. Then seller told me to uninstall GPS and install a new one with no other explanations (go ask to a phone repair shop. were his exact saying).
Maybe I could reinstall ROM, but I have no knowledge, flash programs nor correct ROM for that.
Please help!!

Download faster gps. Set your location
Download GPS Test.
Set it to keep screen on
Put your phone outside for 15 minutes.

Use Z-Device Tester to test your sensors. Likely it doesn't have a gravity or gyroscope anyways, even if the seller said it does. It might not have a compass also. That is not abnormal.
I've done what you suggested, still no fix, same spot where garmin oregon has 10 fixes, Samsung Galaxy S 10 fixes and Samsung Galaxy S3 14 fixes (it has also glonass russian sats).
As I said, it's probably a firmware problem (maybe the gps.default.so). What to do next?. Can I use Odin for flashing new ROM (but which ROM?). Phone is rooted.
(2013-05-21, 21:06)sotinemo Wrote: [ -> ]I've done what you suggested, still no fix, same spot where garmin oregon has 10 fixes, Samsung Galaxy S 10 fixes and Samsung Galaxy S3 14 fixes (it has also glonass russian sats).
As I said, it's probably a firmware problem (maybe the gps.default.so). What to do next?. Can I use Odin for flashing new ROM (but which ROM?). Phone is rooted.

You set your phone outside for 15 minutes with the screen set to not turn off in the app? Is the GPS icon blinking?

Generally SP Flash Tool is used to flash MTK.
GPS was on, screen on, 20 mins outside, GPS icon blinking, no signal from any sat.
I use GPS many years now, before that I used LORAN, I tell you the clone's gps is dead, deaf and dumb (not necessary in that order). Any suggestions?
(2013-05-21, 22:34)sotinemo Wrote: [ -> ]GPS was on, screen on, 20 mins outside, GPS icon blinking, no signal from any sat.
I use GPS many years now, before that I used LORAN, I tell you the clone's gps is dead, deaf and dumb (not necessary in that order). Any suggestions?

Well MTK GPS is unfortunately like no other. And not in a good way.

I did forget to mention. You need to be rooted to use Faster GPS. Are you rooted? If not, use the auto-root thread in Root/ROM/Hack.
Yes, it's rooted and I confirmed that it wrote a new gps.conf. Could I take advantage of your kindness and ask you where I can download a 4.2 ROM for my MTK6589 and make a backup of the original ROM? Unfortunately I couldn't find any results in google. I use odin when I flash my galaxy s but I don't think it applies to mtk phones. I have also downloaded the SP flash tool you told me. Thanks!!
This ROM says custom, but the comments say it's stock from 10 MAY.

[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]
Flashed new ROM, rooted it, installed faster gps and test gps, still NO GPS FIX, it's frustrating, because everything else works fine. (by the way only 3 sensors present, no gyro no grav no compass). At this point I suspect an antenna contact problem or worst, a hardware gps module defect.
(2013-05-23, 00:50)sotinemo Wrote: [ -> ]Flashed new ROM, rooted it, installed faster gps and test gps, still NO GPS FIX, it's frustrating, because everything else works fine. (by the way only 3 sensors present, no gyro no grav no compass). At this point I suspect an antenna contact problem or worst, a hardware gps module defect.

The 3 sensors not being present isn't abnormal unless you can confirm it's supposed to have them. Preferably by someone else who has the same phone (as opposed to the seller)

The GPS though is very strange. The sensor is detected and attempting to find a signal, so it appears to be working, so my first guess would be as you said, an issue with the antenna.

I feel your pain regarding China sellers. Even the highly rated ones are mostly horrible regarding knowing their ass from a hole in the ground about phone issues and wouldn't care to help you if they did.

Is it detecting any satellites at all in GPS Test?
Pages: 1 2 3