www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: [Split] Manufacturer preferences
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I will never buy an iNew again. I drank the kool-aid and fell for the looks when it came out but it now represents everything that's wrong with the smaller/newer Chinese manufacturers. I don't even look at the problem threads anymore.

My advice is to get another phone from a more established Chinese brand. Pay the extra $20-50 and you won't regret it. As the saying goes "you pay peanuts, you'll get monkeys".
(2014-08-13, 10:35)Twotems Wrote: [ -> ]I will never buy an iNew again. I drank the kool-aid and fell for the looks when it came out but it now represents everything that's wrong with the smaller/newer Chinese manufacturers. I don't even look at the problem threads anymore.

My advice is to get another phone from a more established Chinese brand. Pay the extra $20-50 and you won't regret it. As the saying goes "you pay peanuts, you'll get monkeys".

Mine lasted 6 months, great while it lasted but I'm not going to spend a day going through what this guy has trying to fix it and probably fail. How do you know which are established brands? Don't they all use the same chips etc?
(2014-08-15, 17:39)jumpinoffthbed Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-13, 10:35)Twotems Wrote: [ -> ]I will never buy an iNew again. I drank the kool-aid and fell for the looks when it came out but it now represents everything that's wrong with the smaller/newer Chinese manufacturers. I don't even look at the problem threads anymore.

Mine lasted 6 months, great while it lasted but I'm not going to spend a day going through what this guy has trying to fix it and probably fail. How do you know which are established brands? Don't they all use the same chips etc?

Huawei, ZTE, Xiaomi, Lenovo, Meizu, asus, Acer etc.
Look up 'sony sucks' or 'Samsung sucks' or 'problems with canon'. There is no known brand on the planet that doesn't have someone crying about them.

iNew is more or less a brand new company. About a year or so old. When the iNew v3 came out, they were about 6 months old. Simply amazing what they have done in this short time.

I had the iNew v3. It was fine other than the charging issue. Many people were more than happy with it.

You have every right to choose a different brand. The brands you mentioned are very good. But be realistic. Their phones are more expensive as well to get the same specs.

I was looking at cheap ($150) Lenovo and Huawei phones and they are garbage spec wise. TN Panel LCDs, low storage, crap 480p resolution. The build quality not much, if any better than what's coming from other brands.
do stay away from ZTE, their support sucks as much if not more than all the small chinese brands.
otherwise i do agree, while i had no real problem with my iNew V3 and it is really nice value for money, i now have a Redmi 1s and simply love it.
it receives regular updates, no guessing around, there is a huge community, the specs are still very good for the price and the camera is about the best 8MP Samsung implementation you will find (yes, it's even better than in Samsung's own phones, however that is possible)
in comparison it is more expensive, since you do not get OGS, MHL and NFC, but otherwise it has everything you need. it also has a Snapdragon 400 instead of the Mediatek, which is a big plus in my book, as the GPS just works without any fiddling around and even supports Glonass. i found that also the WLAN seems to be better and more reliable.
the Huawei phones are just as expensive as big names now, but they are done really nice.
i just played around with a G6, a P6 and a P7 in a local store and they have great build quality.
Lenovo unfortunately does not make a Global Viberom until now, but that is about to change. Meizu i don't know about, they seem to have great build also, but only Single Sim phones.
if you are out to find the best specs for the cheapest price you still have to gamble with the small companies though.
THL seems to make decent quality phones for good prices also, not super cheap but reliable.
(2014-08-16, 10:15)Sniper47 Wrote: [ -> ]Look up 'sony sucks' or 'Samsung sucks' or 'problems with canon'. There is no known brand on the planet that doesn't have someone crying about them.

iNew is more or less a brand new company. About a year or so old. When the iNew v3 came out, they were about 6 months old. Simply amazing what they have done in this short time.

I had the iNew v3. It was fine other than the charging issue. Many people were more than happy with it.

You have every right to choose a different brand. The brands you mentioned are very good. But be realistic. Their phones are more expensive as well to get the same specs.

I was looking at cheap ($150) Lenovo and Huawei phones and they are garbage spec wise. TN Panel LCDs, low storage, crap 480p resolution. The build quality not much, if any better than what's coming from other brands.

Very valid points. I bought the iNew, a Jiayu G5, a Lenovo k910 and p780. Zero problems with the Lenovo's to date. The iNew and Jiayu started giving problems almost immediately. The basic issue is quality control with the newer brands and your only recourse is to send them back to China or live with the problems. They're great value only if you're lucky enough to get a trouble free one.

Btw, where did this thread come from? I didn't start it!
I have had Qualcomm phones. It lost the signal all the time. Couldn't even go more than a couple hundred meters without losing the lock. The GPS was no more reliable than Mediateks.

The issue is mostly people not patient enough to wait for the very first lock. There are many problems with GPS with the major brands. Try looking *samsung gps problem*.

It comes down to Antenna design and placement and these not being stand alone GPS devicecs. I have never had to fiddle with my China phones to get a lock.

I had a friend today say his THL was more or less the same as his iPhone 5s when comparing GPS.
Twotems writes
Quote:Btw, where did this thread come from? I didn't start it!

True but if you look at the top it says [Split]

That indicates that the moderator of the relevant forum found you had diverged off topic to the original theme of someone else's post.

Crudely its called hijacking.

Mods are normally tolerant, but hijacking can be very annoying to the OP who may be asking for help and not seeing any as 'everyone' is having a bit of whinge.

cheers
(2014-08-17, 13:22)aus9 Wrote: [ -> ]Twotems writes
Quote:Btw, where did this thread come from? I didn't start it!

True but if you look at the top it says [Split]

That indicates that the moderator of the relevant forum found you had diverged off topic to the original theme of someone else's post.

Crudely its called hijacking.

Mods are normally tolerant, but hijacking can be very annoying to the OP who may be asking for help and not seeing any as 'everyone' is having a bit of whinge.

cheers

Thanks for the clarification. Didn't mean to hijack the thread at all.

(2014-08-17, 12:38)Bacon_Puffs Wrote: [ -> ]I have had Qualcomm phones. It lost the signal all the time. Couldn't even go more than a couple hundred meters without losing the lock. The GPS was no more reliable than Mediateks.

The issue is mostly people not patient enough to wait for the very first lock. There are many problems with GPS with the major brands. Try looking *samsung gps problem*.

It comes down to Antenna design and placement and these not being stand alone GPS devicecs. I have never had to fiddle with my China phones to get a lock.

I had a friend today say his THL was more or less the same as his iPhone 5s when comparing GPS.

Please note I didn't knock mediatek at all, in fact the p780 is a mediatek phone. I don't know what type of patience you're talking about but my Jiayu g5 can take up to 40 minutes to get a lock if at all. I also had to replace the external speaker after two weeks. It also shuts down WhatsApp on its own periodically. But overall I like the phone, it's just not quite up to standard. The iNew is best left unmentioned here, too many issues to list.
No issues with my GPS, always locks within a minute at most...but issues can and do happen with all brands. Including Samsung and the big namebrand brands. But now I'm repeating myself. Doh

Crashes and force closes and speaker problems happen all the time too with popular name brands. Not only with Whatsapp and Jiayu S5.

My iNew V3 had only charging issue. The rest was fine.
Pages: 1 2