www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: [Review] Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime review
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Looking forward to seeing your thoughts on the redmi 4. Since I'm coming from an m2 note on Flyme 5, I'm really going to miss the mback multi function button. The z2 would probably seem more familiar to me. I'm sure in a few days I'll get used to the traditional Android controls again though.
(2016-12-02, 22:08)Jh1 Wrote: [ -> ]Looking forward to seeing your thoughts on the redmi 4. Since I'm coming from an m2 note on Flyme 5, I'm really going to miss the mback multi function button. The z2 would probably seem more familiar to me. I'm sure in a few days I'll get used to the traditional Android controls again though.

Yes, Zuk reminded me very much of Meizu.

But, yup you'll get used to the traditional Android quite quickly. MIUI is more like AOSP Android, with just some minor differences. Settings are a bit different, with a finer level of control than AOSP.

I took out the Redmi 4 Prime today for about half an hour. 65k on Antutu. Not too shabby. Everything seems quick and snappy. Some moderate evidence of LED light placement at the top, but not a big deal. The display looks very good. Good color and retina smooth. Physically it looks premium, with the same style metal sides as Redmi Pro. External speaker adequate, but not much beyond that. Will have a skeleton review up next week. Looking forward to your thoughts on the Redmi 4 as well. I'll likely just leave the Global "shop" ROM on it for now. Seems fine to me.
Yeah, everything I've heard states build quality is pretty decent, good screen, adequate camera (for the price), and passable speaker output (though that isn't much of a concern for me). Battery life is supposed to be exceptional, gsmarena review notwithstanding. Have heard that the 3.5mm jack has poor audio output, but that was only one review. I'm fairly familiar with MIUI. I've set my sisters and mom up with the mi4/mi4c, and had the chance to play around with them for a while since I do the initial setup for them. I've always install the stock rom fairly quickly though, ever since one of the redmi 2 phones I initially bought my sister kept crashing while on the reseller rom. I prefer to have OTA update capability anyway. I'll be sure to respond to your review once I get some time on my redmi4
(2016-12-03, 02:06)Jh1 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, everything I've heard states build quality is pretty decent, good screen, adequate camera (for the price), and passable speaker output (though that isn't much of a concern for me). Battery life is supposed to be exceptional, gsmarena review notwithstanding. Have heard that the 3.5mm jack has poor audio output, but that was only one review. I'm fairly familiar with MIUI. I've set my sisters and mom up with the mi4/mi4c, and had the chance to play around with them for a while since I do the initial setup for them. I've always install the stock rom fairly quickly though, ever since one of the redmi 2 phones I initially bought my sister kept crashing while on the reseller rom. I prefer to have OTA update capability anyway. I'll be sure to respond to your review once I get some time on my redmi4

We'll change it if any problems, but I don't foresee that being the case.

The ROM version is 8.0.50.0 which is only 1 version back. I agree, if keeping the phone long term for myself, I'd want OTA, even though I notice no differences in the incremental OTA updates. It's generally very minor things fixed that 999/1000 will never notice.

Though over time this can amount to a lot of small bugs being fixed I suppose...

I've got Xiaomi.eu ROM on Redmi Pro, and like it. Those are OTA updatable via Xiaomi.eu servers, though require bootloader unlock and flashing via TWRP to get the initial ROM on there.
Anything in particular that you like about the eu rom?
(2016-12-03, 12:47)Jh1 Wrote: [ -> ]Anything in particular that you like about the eu rom?

The main advantage for us is that it has multilanguage, is OTA updatable, and already setup to allow for Google Now and to load Play instead of Mi App store. These can all be accomplished with CN/EN official, but it used to be that root was required for this, so then need to re-root after every OTA, etc... Not sure if it's still the case. Of course, the "shop" ROM has all of these, but isn't updatable.

There's the general belief that the shop ROMs are put on/created by the shops, but it's simply not the case. They come that way from Xiaomi, just not OTA updatable.

The CM based ROMs generally all have some sort of incompatibility issues, whether it be requiring workarounds for the fingerprint sensor, or camera images not as nice looking, etc...
I see. I've never played around with CM, or the eu roms. I do know that both the stock CN and EN/International MIUI roms allow you to run Google now and play store without root though. Not sure how long it has been that way, but I have it running on the mi4/mi4c my family uses.
(2016-12-03, 22:52)Jh1 Wrote: [ -> ]I see. I've never played around with CM, or the eu roms. I do know that both the stock CN and EN/International MIUI roms allow you to run Google now and play store without root though. Not sure how long it has been that way, but I have it running on the mi4/mi4c my family uses.

Right, Play and Google Now can be installed without root. The issue is getting Google Play to open when external Play Store links are clicked from some other apps. This was the only problem for me with CN/EN ROMs, but admittedly I didn't spend a lot of time trying to solve it because it wasn't a huge deal. Just a minor annoyance. With root of course can easily remove the Mi App Store and problem solved... Until the next OTA.
Ah, I see. Misunderstood you earlier. I guess that never bugged me enough to bother trying to fix it, to be honest.
Pages: 1 2 3