www.chinaphonearena.com

Full Version: [Tutorial] How to modify your EBR and change your partitions for MTK6589T, MTK6582
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(2014-06-05, 23:30)asterx Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-05, 22:43)gerstavros Wrote: [ -> ]format it from PC

To make the partition visible at all on my computer I have to format it first on the phone. After that I can format it from my PC, but after a reboot I'm still getting the 'Damaged phone storage message'.
See my original and ebrtweak modified EBRs and MBR (that's just the original for reference) attached.

I will look at them when I get home.
(2014-06-05, 23:30)asterx Wrote: [ -> ]To make the partition visible at all on my computer I have to format it first on the phone. After that I can format it from my PC, but after a reboot I'm still getting the 'Damaged phone storage message'.
See my original and ebrtweak modified EBRs and MBR (that's just the original for reference) attached.

after repartition i format the internal /sdcard from pc directly.
If after applying factory restore your phone doesn't automatically format the internal sd-card, you can format it manually (if you have CWM recovery) by going into the mounts and storage menu. There you'll find format sdcard, which will do this.
What I have noticed that if I fill up my data partition to more than 1.2 GB - which was about the original size - then it is ok, till I leave the phone storage part "damaged". If I format the phone storage then those application that I've installed after the 1.2 GB limit disappear. So it seems the starting sector of the partition is incorrect.
(2014-06-06, 05:04)asterx Wrote: [ -> ]What I have noticed that if I fill up my data partition to more than 1.2 GB - which was about the original size - then it is ok, till I leave the phone storage part "damaged". If I format the phone storage then those application that I've installed after the 1.2 GB limit disappear. So it seems the starting sector of the partition is incorrect.

Here are your ebr that I modified, I believe they should work just fine for you, you need to format your your sdcard as well as factory reset, then install your backup and all should be well.
Ok, I did manual calculation of the start sectors and entered them into the EBRs via HxD and it looks better now. Done a few restarts and it is still ok. I think the tweak tool would require a little rethinking. Will try to look into it on the weekend. (If my phone remains operational showing that my calculations are correct Smiling )
I was using this guide to calculate the values: [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register] (Correct the URL as it seems links to another forum are not welcome here - even if they have a good guide and deserve the credit. Sad )

(2014-06-06, 07:22)vampirefo Wrote: [ -> ]Here are your ebr that I modified, I believe they should work just fine for you, you need to format your your sdcard as well as factory reset, then install your backup and all should be well.

Thanks! I'll check.
(2014-06-06, 07:27)asterx Wrote: [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register] (Correct the URL as it seems links to another forum are not welcome here - even if they have a good guide and deserve the credit. Sad )

(2014-06-06, 07:22)vampirefo Wrote: [ -> ]Here are your ebr that I modified, I believe they should work just fine for you, you need to format your your sdcard as well as factory reset, then install your backup and all should be well.

Thanks! I'll check.

If what you have now works, stick with it, no need to fix something that isn't broken.
(2014-06-06, 20:30)vampirefo Wrote: [ -> ]....
If what you have now works, stick with it, no need to fix something that isn't broken.

That is exactly my motto too. If it works don't touch it.
I had a look at the code used for EBRtweak and thought it misses certain things, but since the results worked on my phone I haven't bothered in trying other EBR's, maybe some day I will, but for now I'll stick with my current setup.
(2014-06-06, 20:30)vampirefo Wrote: [ -> ]If what you have now works, stick with it, no need to fix something that isn't broken.

I don't want to fix it, but I would like to see if You ended up with a similar result as me, to verify my method. Smiling
(2014-06-06, 22:27)asterx Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-06, 20:30)vampirefo Wrote: [ -> ]If what you have now works, stick with it, no need to fix something that isn't broken.

I don't want to fix it, but I would like to see if You ended up with a similar result as me, to verify my method. Smiling

OK sounds good, I use online converters to get correct numbers, and Linux calculator, as well as a hex editor, I use a windows hex editor via wine, as I like it better than any Linux hex editor I have ever used.

Below are the changes I made to ebr1 and ebr2

Code:
ebr1   00 00 85 00

ebr2   00 BF A5 00    FF 43 58 FF

(2014-06-02, 02:52)mirandam Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-29, 18:18)hypafly Wrote: [ -> ]Please I tried using ebrtweak application but it doesn't detect my device, I tried editing my mt6589 using hex editor but i get much memory than supposed because I'm using a 16gb rom! Sometimes I get 6 gb internal and 10 gb external whereas its supposed to be 13gb total. Please I have attached the two ebr files in zip archive! I don't know if anyone can help me edit it to 6gb internal and the rest to external.

You probably didn't create the correct EBR files. If they were created by droidtools, after the backup you should have done the "To prepar blocks for FlashTool", which converts the blocks to the correct size for flashtool, in this case 512 bytes each.
These are the files you can use for ebrtweak, not the backup-ed ones, you can find them in the !Files_to_FlashTool folder in your backup folder.

b.t.w. If've attached the correct EBR's created by ebrtweak with 6GB for you.

These appear to be off by 4 GB, so this is for 2 GB not 6 GB? If using this as 6 GB would cause problems as it is only for 2 GB, 1.75781 GB to be exact. Also these are way different than asterx ebr files.

(2014-06-06, 22:45)vampirefo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-06, 22:27)asterx Wrote: [ -> ]

OK sounds good, I use online converters to get correct numbers, and Linux calculator, as well as a hex editor, I use a windows hex editor via wine, as I like it better than any Linux hex editor I have ever used.

Below are the changes I made to ebr1 and ebr2

Code:
ebr1   00 00 85 00

ebr2   00 BF A5 00    FF 43 58 FF

(2014-06-02, 02:52)mirandam Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-29, 18:18)hypafly Wrote: [ -> ]Please I tried using ebrtweak application but it doesn't detect my device, I tried editing my mt6589 using hex editor but i get much memory than supposed because I'm using a 16gb rom! Sometimes I get 6 gb internal and 10 gb external whereas its supposed to be 13gb total. Please I have attached the two ebr files in zip archive! I don't know if anyone can help me edit it to 6gb internal and the rest to external.

You probably didn't create the correct EBR files. If they were created by droidtools, after the backup you should have done the "To prepar blocks for FlashTool", which converts the blocks to the correct size for flashtool, in this case 512 bytes each.
These are the files you can use for ebrtweak, not the backup-ed ones, you can find them in the !Files_to_FlashTool folder in your backup folder.

b.t.w. If've attached the correct EBR's created by ebrtweak with 6GB for you.

These appear to be off by 4 GB, so this is for 2 GB not 6 GB? If using this as 6 GB would cause problems as it is only for 2 GB, 1.75781 GB to be exact. Also these are way different than asterx ebr files.

Ok I did more math and my answers still come out correct EBRtweak app is wrong, cause it's based on the first post, the author of the app, didn't do the math he just took for granted the first post numbers were correct.

That is the good news, Burs can just edit his app with correct numbers, and recompile it. I only did the math on ebr1, to be honest if you get ebr1 wrong, ebr2 will be out of wack also, as ebr2 gets it's info from ebr1.

Ok below some of the numbers are not correct, we will only focus on ebr1, if ebr1 is wrong ebr2 will also be wrong.

ebr1 is correct upto 4.5 then it gets way off 5.5 shows 35 which is 1.65625 GB 35 is in between 30 and 40, note 30 is 1.5GB and 40 is 2.0GB so no way 35 can equal 5.5GB it equals 1.65625 can rounded up to 1.7

This is from first post. 4.5 through 5.5 are wrong, 6 is correct, before 4.5 is correct.
Code:
Size EBR1
0.5GB 10
1.0GB 20
1.5GB 30
2.0GB 40
2.5GB 50
3.0GB 60
3.5GB 70
4.0GB 80
4.5GB A8
5.0GB B8